topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Speedtest of my Internet browsers :-(  (Read 3356 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Speedtest of my Internet browsers :-(
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:22 AM »
I've upped my Internet connection (from 300 Mbps) to 1,000 Mbps download speed.

I was very surprised to not notice any improvement!

After removing advert blockers and other apps, I still didn't see any difference in the speed online, so I began wondering what on earth could be wrong. I mean, you should notice a difference between 300 and 1000, shouldn't you? (The answer is Yes!)

First off, I checked what my own IS (=Internet Supplier)'s speedtester (https://kundeservice...oblem/hastighedstest) had to say: 138 Mbps down. Hm... that was a disapppointment by itself - not even close to the 300 I had been paying for, not to mention the new 1000!

2021-01-21_151856 uden rekl.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

I downloaded a series of Internet browsers and tested them at once. By "at once", I mean: Download, install, run! No apps or settings of any kind, just paste https://www.speedtest.net/ >Enter >and click GO!

I was in shock: The results were all in the area of 43 - 124 Mbps. They should kiss a thousand !!!

Mbps:
Brave:    44
Opera:    44
Vivaldi:    54
Internet Expl: 97
Firefox: 108
Chrome: 124

2021-01-21_BRAVE.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(2021-01-21_Opera.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(2021-01-21_Vivaldi.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(2021-01-21_Firefox.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(124 speedtest.net Ookla.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

Later, an in-browser-app for Edge: 154MBps

2021-01-22_EDGEapp.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

I have been in daily contact with my IS, but has been put on hold until Corona allows them to visit my home again.

But then one of their technicians phoned me and asked eh... have you not tested with Ookla Speedtester's APP? You should! This was the first time I heard about it: an app for local speedtesting (https://www.speedtest.net/apps). I now have it (Speedtest by Ookla) and my online connection apparently is, as it should be (I have not fully reached a thousand, but almost): 826⁺Mbps

2021-01-21_154547speedtest app.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

But the various Internet browsers are still wheelchairing at 43 - 154 Mbps. How can my Internet browsers all be so extremely slow?

WHY, oh, WHY?!!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:41 AM by Curt, Reason: Mbps, not MBps »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Speedtest of my Internet browsers :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:49 AM »
A few questions to ask yourself:
- How is your computer connected to your router? (Some Wifi connections are really slow, wired is king!)
- Is your router (or in fact the entire chain from signal entrance into the build up to the computer) capable of handling the increased speed? (Some have a WAN port with only 100 MBit/s...) (Seems to be covered)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Looks like your network only supports older WiFi standards. As it is quite over the place. Your upload speed is higher than your download speed, which is usually a clear indicator that the problem is located in your own network at home.

Next to that, the contract between you and your ISP is always that they make a best effort to provide the agreed upon connection to your modem and their own network. Whatever you after that in your own network is really your problem. And if you go outside of their network onto the internet, whatever you get is whatever you get. Because that is out of their control, so not their problem.

Do you use a laptop? If it has a network connector you should be able connect it directly onto your modem. Then do the speed test again. Now you should see the most "pure" speed your connection has to offer.

Are there WiFi extenders (also known as repeaters) in your network? If so, in the best of cases you lose 50% of your total bandwidth. But more often than not it is more. 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:01 AM »
-yeah, I gave too few informations, sorry.

My connection is private and wired, and my end of it is located in the wall some 2 feet from the desktop PC. My network cable goes straight into the all-modern router and then straight into the all-modern connection on/in the wall. Hey, I live in Denmark: Everything is fairly good and up to date!

---------------------
Edited: My Internet supplier is also the supplier of the connection and of the router and the wires and 'more'. Yes, I pay them a lot of money each month.
---------------------

But of course, parts may not be working as expected. As an example, I realized last night that AdGuard still had a part running. When I closed it, the speed immediately rose to 400Mbps

01-23_NoAdguard;400.jpgSpeedtest of my Internet browsers :-(

Quite an improvement  :Thmbsup: 
but still a long way from 820~1000
I expect the problem is inside my computer, not in the network; We are 400 apartments, theoretically with the same wiring, but I am the only one complaining...

--------

AdGuard? Bad dog! Baaaad!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:39 AM by Curt, Reason: not MBps »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:37 AM »
But of course, parts may not be working as expected. As an example, I realized last night that AdGuard still had a part running. When I closed it, the speed immediately rose to 400MBps

Zoiks! O_o ...That would make for an instant summary execution in my world.

Have you ever done a tracert to see if the times drop off at a specific point? And/or check your router for any over zealous packet checking?

If the tracert starts high, and then holds fairly steady, your router - new or not - may be on the fritz...or just holding itself up by nitpicking the traffic..

We tend to avoid ever using the ISP's equipment where I'm at, because it's usually low powered spastic crap.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Tracert is a command-line tool that is built into Windows. Although it is useful for the task, there are many ways to improve on it. If you want to spend money and have a GUI version, which does a lot more than just show you just the dry numbers that 'tracert' does, use a tool called: PingPlotter. I found the output from that tool (when trialing it) to be very helpful and much better to understand. But thought the price tag didn't match the features.

However, then there was:  TraceRoute NG (from SolarWinds). This is also a command-line tool, hasn't got all the extra features of PingPlotter, but it does have a similar output overview as PingPlotter has and it is free. On the SolarWinds website is a short but very descriptive video that shows you what it does and how the output looks.

Both PingPlotter and TraceRoute NG repeat their tests and generate a log from these results. Send this type of logging to the helpdesk of your ISP and you will get very different responses from them, as they have a log with data-points to take action on.

Regarding AdGuard:
Better buy a RaspBerry Pi (about 35 USD) and install Pi-Hole (free) on it. Then adjust the DNS settings from all your networking devices to use the Raspberry Pi as their DNS server instead of the DNS server you currently use (usually the DNS server(s) from your ISP). Now you will see that most, if not all ads are gone from your computer(s), tablets, phones, smart TV(s) etc.

If that is too much of a stretch, there is software (for Windows) that does the same. Technitium DNS is one example. Although this type of software makes this part of DNS management pretty simple, it isn't hard to imagine that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

An alternative of sorts exists for FireFox and Chrome/Chromium-based browsers. It is called: uMatrix.  This extension will not execute any background script (from other websites than the one you are visiting), not load images or cookies and lots more things. While that all sounds great, it does affect the look and functionality of websites. With some it only a little, with others severely. But it does get rid of ads.

However, when it is loading a page the extension does keep track of what it loads and doesn't load. At any time you can access a matrix where you can easily see what has been loaded (green matrix slot) and what isn't loaded (red matrix slot). You can enable red matrix slots one by one or all at once. You can store your specific setup, so every time you visit this website again, it will use those settings again.

But as many people visit many different websites, setting up uMatrix for each site is getting old very quickly. And if a website makes a change 'under the hood', you will need to repeat setting up uMatrix again. Which makes it only an alternative of sorts. However, if you can stomach working with uMatrix, you will see dramatic speed increase in loading your favorite websites. And ads free too.

Be warned though. if uMatrix is enabled and you visit Twitter you will see a practically empty page in your browser. FaceBook does the same. There will be more examples of this. Personally, I don't care one iota about FaceBook or Twitter, so it isn't a problem for me. Just mentioning it.

Another disadvantage is that you need to repeat this for every browser you use, on any device you use. So there is the possibility that uMatrix becomes more of a headache than it is worth.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 08:04 PM »
I expect the problem is inside my computer, not in the network; We are 400 apartments, theoretically with the same wiring, but I am the only one complaining...

To start with I'd boot into Safe Mode with Networking, fire up Edge (or any browser with zero add-ons), and then do your speed test, (personally I'd use an ftp transfer but this is easier), so there'll be no extra background programs running.

If I'm following this right, (which is not normally the case as I get older ;D), you get 400Mbps on the computer, 800+Mbps on your phone (via WiFi) through the same router, modem, and ISP.

Your problem is more than likely your computer:
  • You're running too much crap doing background networking.
  • You're running crap extensions in your browsers.
  • The network settings are seriously screwed up.
  • etc, etc.

For the first, boot your computer, start Task Manager, switch to Performance tab, and select your network connection on the left - you should have close to zero data transfer, (or sub-100Kbps), if it's just idling along, (no updates or anything).
If it's high then it's time to start trying to find what's sucking data.

For the second, download the PortableApps version of Firefox and try that or start Firefox in Safe mode.

For the third ... you could try running the Network Troubleshooter, All Settings->Network & Internet->Network Troubleshooter.  If that appears to not help then it's time to get into the crap you normally don't want to ;)

PS. It's Mbps not MBps, 1000 Mbps = 125 MBps  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:14 PM by 4wd »