topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Accessing my laptop from anywhere  (Read 2649 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Accessing my laptop from anywhere
« on: December 09, 2020, 05:59 AM »
Hello

I have several business laptops and I want to be able to access my private laptop from them so that I don't have to carry many laptops.

I am looking for a way to login to a website and be able to access all my files and perform any actions there (e.g. editing and saving files, bookmarking websites, running programs) which will then reflect locally on my personal laptop.

Is this possible? I do not mind having my laptop permanently on but it would be great if it can awake when needed.

Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Accessing my laptop from anywhere
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Apache Guacamole is the software you seek. When you have a linux computer at your home, you can install Guacamole on it, and configure RDP, SSH and VNC type of connections to any or all computers or networked devices in your home network. There is no Windows version, The makers don't give a crap about Windows, so don't expect them to make a Windows version any time soon, if ever.

It is not easy to install, requires a lot of reading, port forwarding on your router/firewall solution, etc. , but once you have done all that, you can use a browser to access the Guacamole server where you then open the configured connection you created. I went through all that and must say that it works very well.

But if the above looks like it is too complicated, better fall back to a solution like AnyDesk. Free to use for non-commercial purposes. Can be installed on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS. Install that on any computer you wish to create a connection to and set it up to allow for remote access always. If you do so, set a good password (you can even add 2FA to create that connection). Create also an easy to remember alias for the computer you wish to connect to. Now you need to install AnyDesk on a business laptop (or keep running it in 'portable' mode, which is default), connect to the alias you created and you have access to your laptop at home.

Both will wake the connected remote computer from simple sleep states, not sure about modes 'Wake-On-LAN' or 'hibernation' though.

AnyDesk is the way easier option and works very well too. Make sure the intenet connection at home is a good one though. Because with cable modems the upload part of your connection is often more flaky than the download part of that connection. I connect to different locations that use a mix of fiber and cable connections. Fiber works like a charm every time, no hiccups of any kind. Cable modems, that is a whole different story...