topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you get melted rubber out of carpeting???  (Read 14280 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you get melted rubber out of carpeting???
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 07:35 AM »
FWIW flour is potentially explosive.

And here we're separating the wheat from the ground … Well now I suppose that could chaff a bit..

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Well now I suppose that could chaff a bit..
Ear ear!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26 AM »
FWIW flour is potentially explosive.  The attached isn't a great example, but a google search will turn up plenty of very dramatic incidents

In the surroundings of the place where I grew up, is a company that produces feed for farm animals. On their main lot are 5 separated production facilities where on each bottom 2 lorries can park to be charged with the end product, and next to that parking space is the production facility and a 60 meter (180 feet) high silo. Those silos 15 meters at their widest and made of concrete. On top there is a venting hole that is covered with a concrete slab of about 50 square meter.

Well, the mixture of air and particles inside that silo went wrong once. Because of the venting hole the silo didn't break, but the explosion was heard 10 kilometers away and people found that concrete slab 1 kilometer away from that production facility.

It is the mixture: amount of particles per volume unit of air and a spark. That is really nothing more to it. Works with almost anything, as long as the mixture is right. Powdered coffee creamer is another fine example of getting a really violent reaction.

Here is a Mythbuster's video about that: https://www.youtube..../watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Powdered coffee creamer is another fine example of getting a really violent reaction.

Here is a Mythbuster's video about that: https://www.youtube..../watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

Tangent:

I kept waiting for the Mythbusters to show up. I thought it was just some interns introducing the "myth" to the audience and that the real Mythbusters would come out and set off the explosion and explain what happened and why. Then I got through the whole thing and they never showed up and I was really confused.

Then I realized it has been a long time since I've seen Mythbusters and they must have replaced the cast. :(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2020, 12:28 AM »
Mythbusters consisted of more than just the two main characters. There were also 3 aids who did the smaller myths to bust. This video was about one of those smaller myths. Too lazy to look it up right now, but I think there were always people helping out the two main characters. The three people you see in this video were the most capable, with the best screen presence and had a good "chemistry" together.

That little group also has their own 'cult'-following, just as the two main characters Adam and Jamie do. Mythbusters has been cancelled for quite a while already, so no new episodes anymore.