topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Downloading Blender Open Movie "Sintel (2010)" in 4K  (Read 5459 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Downloading Blender Open Movie "Sintel (2010)" in 4K
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to download the Open Movie made/funded by the Blender Foundation called Sintel from here:

https://download.ble...r.org/durian/movies/

I'm trying to get the 4K (mkv) version, which is about 4.2GB. At first it downloads really fast, telling me it will complete in about 20 minutes. But after I've gotten about 250MB into it, it then seems to throttle my download speed to about 64 kbps and says it will take 20 hours to complete. Is anyone else here able to download it at a speedy rate?

Or perhaps someone else is better able to search the internets than I have been to find a working torrent I can use to relieve Blender.org of the burden of having to serve the file to me?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:01 PM by Deozaan »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Downloading Blender Open Movie "Sintel (2010)" in 4K
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Torrents, as far as I know, uses peers to transfer data. Data that has been cut up into chunks. It is very likely that the first set of data chunks are very available on lots and lots of peers. But other sets may not. With a small set peers (or sometimes even peer) the torrent protocol cannot retrieve whatever data you miss, the quality of the connection between you and the peer(s) also becomes an issue.

Sintel isn't that great as a story, so after people have seen it once, more often than not they do not keep the downloaded file. As a result they are not sharing and only a small set of peers remain. Sintel is also pretty old by now, that will have reduced the amount of peers even further. The bunny animation on the Blender website was more entertaining than Sintel.

Anyway: Sintel 4k with FLAC audio torrent

This does not seem to slow down after downloading 250 MB of data. But speed varies a lot. At least here in South America between 100 kbit/sec to 1,5 Mbit/sec. on my 20Mbit fiber connection.

As my torrent client I used Tixati. Don't know which client was used by the OP. My understanding is that Tixati is a very decent torrent client for its user. But it seems less than popular with people offering up their data. Just to say that torrent clients are not created equally, which can have a big impact on download speed too.

Then there is also the possibility that with torrents you get as much speed as you are willing to sacrifice from your own network connection. Or that bandwidth with which are downloading is only maintained if you are sharing one or more torrents simultaneously. Something that might surprise you as well. Torrents work better/faster when you specify a maximum download and/or upload speed in your client.

For example: say you have a 50 Mbit/sec download connection in your house. By default, torrent clients are configured to use as much bandwidth as is available at any given moment. This setting may sound logical, but most, if not all, torrent clients manage this automatic adjusting bandwidth setting poorly to very poorly.

As a rule off thumb, set in your client for max download speed about 80% of your maximum download speed, in case of a 50Mbit/sec, use 40 Mbit/sec. And around 10% of the 80% download value as upload max bandwidth, in case of max 40 Mbit/sec download, set 4 Mbit/sec as max upload.

By doing so, you'll notice that your torrent client suddenly is able to continuously pull in data at the max download speed you just configured. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:11 PM by Shades »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 04:20 PM »
For some reason the file does not seem to want to attach to the post, so I'm not going to bother anymore with that than I already have done.

Instead, copy-paste the following text into your favorite torrent client:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d4avepgtgfdhrlkz7g5r23fqxvotx45t&dn=Sintel.2010.4k.FLAC.mkv&xl=4581131080&fc=2

All torrent clients I know of, support .magnet links. With a little bit of patience, the torrent file you need is generated and automatically being downloaded by your torrent client.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Yep - downloads at 50mbps+ for about 2.5 seconds then drops me to about 56k speeds o.O

Getting about 200kbps from the magnet above  :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 04:32 PM »
OK Torrent is working for me so when it's done in like 8 minutes I'll drop you a direct link (which won't throttle your speed lol)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Ok link sent to your DMs on Discord :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Yep - downloads at 50mbps+ for about 2.5 seconds then drops me to about 56k speeds o.O

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing it. I've been having some issues with my ISP lately and I couldn't be sure if what I was experiencing was a localized thing or if Blender's website was throttling everyone.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d4avepgtgfdhrlkz7g5r23fqxvotx45t&dn=Sintel.2010.4k.FLAC.mkv&xl=4581131080&fc=2

Thank you. I am familiar with using magnet links for torrents. :Thmbsup:

OK Torrent is working for me so when it's done in like 8 minutes I'll drop you a direct link (which won't throttle your speed lol)
Ok link sent to your DMs on Discord :)

Between the two of you, I've got it taken care of. Thanks again to both of you!

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Well, you saved damsel Deozaan in distress.