topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any software that is like Synology DS Notes but can export to html with tree?  (Read 5486 times)

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

On my synology NAS I have this app called the DS Notes. I have been populating this with my own faq/database materials. I am sourcing a software/method to be able to convert this to html (much like the rightnotes webbook html) that i can host this on a webserver with a tree navigation structure. The rightnotes webbook if I am not wrong, reference the links in such a way that this is not useable on a webserver so this is not suitable.

Hoping for some constructive feedback please?

Thanks
tofu

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think DS Note is the older version, and Note Station is the one in their newest OS.  Not sure if DS Note has the same functionality as Note Station, but you can export to HTML files:

https://www.synology...on_managing_notes#t7

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think DS Note is the older version, and Note Station is the one in their newest OS.  Not sure if DS Note has the same functionality as Note Station, but you can export to HTML files:

https://www.synology...on_managing_notes#t7

Thanks wraith808. Yes it is indeed called Note Station now. I have been using Synology for a long time and sometimes it is hard to remember they have renamed the thing.

On Notestation I can export only a single note to html but the issue is that:

1. The html file is just the content of the note itself. I cannot export the html that includes the tree. so it is not really useful.

2. I need to export each note individually to html. If I export all the notes in 1 notebook for instance, it will export in a .nsx file which is not viewable in webpage.

Cheers

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure how well this works, but there is a tool that extracts the notes from an nsx file into Markdown.

https://github.com/M...-Station-to-markdown

From there, it's a short hop to HTML.

There's also a script that imports into Joplin, which might be helpful for maintaining structure.

https://github.com/K...otestation-to-joplin

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure how well this works, but there is a tool that extracts the notes from an nsx file into Markdown.

https://github.com/M...-Station-to-markdown

From there, it's a short hop to HTML.

There's also a script that imports into Joplin, which might be helpful for maintaining structure.

https://github.com/K...otestation-to-joplin

Thanks I previously researched those ones that you listed. They appear to only export the text portion of the notes. They do not preserve the images that are embedded within the notes.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe it was an earlier version?

After conversion you will get:

Directories named like exported notebooks;
Notes in those directories as markdown-syntax plain text files with all in-line images in-place;
Assigned tags and links to attachments at the beginning of note text;
All images and attached files in media sub-directories inside notebook directories.

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Good catch there batman. I will check again.

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hi there. I have now checked out this latest version and yes it does create a markdown of the notes including the images. Sadly however it does not convert the tree structure which is an important consideration.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might be able to put in a request in the git repo to see if they might know how to do it.  Unfortunately, I've never worked with Note Station nor that format, so other than a few Google searches, I can't be of more help than that offhand.

tofulover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might be able to put in a request in the git repo to see if they might know how to do it.  Unfortunately, I've never worked with Note Station nor that format, so other than a few Google searches, I can't be of more help than that offhand.

No problems wraith. I will try my luck then.

kevindurston21

• Participant
  • Joined in 2021
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I know this was discussed almost a year ago, but I also wanted to migrate form Note-Station earlier this year.  I did not find any conversion programs that fully supported the content fo the note files.  Many would not export simple things like  checklists or bulleted lists.  So I wrote my own!

It has a git hub project here YANOM Note-O-Matic.

There are pre built packages here releases

And the Wiki has plenty of information on how to install and use and it's capabilities.

There was a mention of 'tree structure' but I'm not sure what was meant by that.  Each note book is exported to its own folder.  If it meant the tag view which lists pages by tags... that can still be achieved using a markdown note system like Obsidian (it's free).   If it was meant that the notes should be exported into folders by tag.. YANOM does not currently do that but it is a thought... but you could end up with chaos as where would a note be saved if it has two tags?   The best way is to use Markdown files in a system like Obsidian as it will use the tags to do the organisation of notes by tag like note station does.

For moving notes I would not recommend moving to html as it's not easily editable or easy to organise.  If you use markdown you can edit, link notes easily and if you want a website/html you simply convert the Markdown files to html as needed.

Current functionality
  • Convert Note-Station .nsx export files to Markdown or HTML
  • Convert HTML to Markdown
  • Convert Markdown to HTML
  • Convert Markdown to a different format of Markdown
  • List of available Markdown formats that can be used as inputs or outputs
  • CommonMark (Used by Joplin)
  • GFM - Git Flavoured Markdown (Typora, Git Hub, Haroopad)
  • Obsidian formatted markdown
  • MultiMarkdown (MultiMarkdown Composer)
  • Pandoc markdown
  • Pandoc markdown-strict
  • QOwnNotes optimised markdown-
  • Note content that will be converted successfully
  • Headers
  • Bulleted lists
  • Numbered lists
  • Checklists
  • Tables
  • Images
  • Image width where supported in Markdown
  • IFrames
  • Metadata - support JSON, TOML or YAML front matter, and meta tags in HTML
  • Tags included in front matter, html header or as plain text with an optional prefix character
  • option to split grouped tags photography/landscape/winter becomes #photography, #landscape, #winter
  • option to remove spaces from tag names
  • Tags
  • File attachments are maintained
  • Note-Station specific features
  • Charts are recreated. An image is placed on the page, along with a data table of the chart data, and a link to a csv file of the data.
  • Links between note pages.
  • For Note-Station most of the time this will be successful. However, there are some limitations and the Synology Note-Station Links to Other Note Pages wiki page has examples of the possible issues and solutions for them.
  • Note-Station audio notes - are attached as an attachment
  • Option to include creation time in file name
The formatting for QOwnNotes and Obsidian are variations on common Markdown formats optimised for those note systems.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

KD