topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Webbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)  (Read 4351 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have several old virtual machines running under windows xp pro + sp3 with IE 7
At the present moment i can't see many pages, including my own web page (a blogspot....) .

so I would like to solve my problem installing :

a) a portable browser inside the virtual machine.  Sharing a folder outside, in one of my data disks.
b) a system browser inside the virtual machine.

Note : The web browser I use everyday is Firefox.
But for the ocassion I don't need special or relevant features. Even those important ones like to share passwords, favourites, etc.

:-*AsusPortatil - 06_02_2020 , 17_40_17.pngWebbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)
AsusPortatil - 06_02_2020 , 17_39_16.pngWebbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)

Note : I need simply good advice. I can risk in my own way http://www.xpbrowsers.com/ , but this is not the target.

If you know a good browser for the ocassion I will adopt.
Best Regards.
 :P

Note 2 : the hardware behind is not problem. it's my new laptop . hp pavilion 15-bc520ns,  :P

What is my target ? I have an old program to budgets that use a last price generator online. I need to see that webpage .

Note 3 : A good fear. I use the prntkey to take a screenshot and the virtual machine collapses.....

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:25 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Webbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51 PM »
AsusPortatil - 06_02_2020 , 18_50_02.pngWebbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)
I am surprise because in one of my attempts I get the website.
sometimes.
Even happen with donationcoder.com

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Internet Explorer 7

You do know that basically no website will work with that anymore, right?

Also...your error messages are in Spanish...most people here don't speak spanish...might be worth maybe giving a translation seeing as it somehow seems relevant to whatever it is you want?

Aside from that...I have no idea what you're even asking so...I'll leave this at that.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Some well meant advice:
You really, really, really!, shouldn't be using IE for actively browsing the interwebz. And if it has to be IE (usually because someone 'forgot' to phase-out ActiveX), then don't use anything older than IE 11.
On top of that: You really, really, really!, shouldn't be using Windows XP for actively browsing the interwebz. You'd better install some Linux distro in a VM to browse the interwebz.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:41 PM »
The use of such an old browser in an old operating system....the logic escapes me too.

But here goes:
In each VM, VirtualBox allows you to create a drive letter association and link that to a partition, another drive or even a specific folder. VirtualBox chose to call these: machine folders.

VBox6.config.machine-folders.pngWebbrowser for a special ocassion (virtualbox - guest xp pro)
In this screenshot, you'll see what I mean.

Now, it might be the case that the configuration in the screenshot isn't making too much sense to you. So, here is a little explanation.

First, I try to use as much portable software as I can. You could say I go out of my way to do so.
Anyway, I divide up the hard disk in my host computer (the computer that runs the VirtualBox software) into 4 partitions. The first partition only contains Windows, the second partition contains only the programs that i use and/or have to install. the third partition contains the user data from all Windows accounts on the host computer. The last partition contains the temp folders for the system and Windows accounts. I do that for lots of reasons and won't explain none of them in this post.

Well, whenever I create a new Windows VM, it is just a basic, run-of-the-mill installation, so I end up only with 1 partition, with drive letter C:\
But as I created those machine folders and linked the virtual drive letter D:\ to the D:\ partition on the host computer, I now have access to all my portable apps immediately. No need to "pollute" the VM with unnecessary files.

This setup keeps VMs very clean and rather small. And 80% of all my portable apps work immediately in the VM, even when they are also opened in the host computer. Also, whatever your preferences/configuration for these portable apps are, you immediate access to those same configuration/settings , so you can pick up in the VM where you left off on the host computer.  Maintenance also becomes easy, you only have to update one instance of the application and enjoy the updates immediately in every VM.

Unfortunately, there is a fly in the ointment. The remainder (20%) of portable apps doesn't work when accessed through machine folders. I have tried portable versions of FireFox, Chrome, Opera and PaleMoon, Thunderbird. While these work fine on the host computer, they refuse to work in the VM using machine folders. You simply must run these in the VM itself. This makes browser/mail configuration and maintenance messy.

I'll end with the same advice as all the other posters in this thread have given you:
There is absolutely no good reason to use such an old browser in combination with such an old operating system, just for browsing the web.

You only keep such an old operating system around for machinery running software that cannot be updated to a newer version of Windows. And by now, that machinery is so old and/or worn down that it should be replaced with newer machinery anyway.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:59 AM »
I have to run the virtual machine under windows xp pro because is installed there a program that don't works in upper windows operating system.

That old program is able to recognize bc3 standard files FIE/BDC standard for budgets in construction.
so I can drag from the browser the data and are recognized by the old program.

Then. If you assume that I need the old program running in an old operating system you will be able to help me.

The old operating system have an old browser . No enough security, problems with new webs, etc. etc.

The old browser accompany windows xp pro is IE 7.

so I need substitute for a better browser able to see correctly the pages with a decent level of security.

I suggest the link http://www.xpbrowsers.com/

I begin trying this and waiting for someone that in the past had my similar problem.

Best Regards
 :-* :P

Edited : I think it's done.

I enter in the link http://www.xpbrowsers.com/ from the virtual machine. I tried google chrome, but have no support. I couldn't enter in the web.

I try Firefox. Seems a file I can decompress.
I download from windows 10 with firefox to my pc and put in a share folder to enter in the virtual machine.

I decompress there and copy the folder under c:\program files in the virtual machine.

I execute firefox.exe from inside that folder.

I create a shortcut in the desktop.

so seems a sort of portable version of firefox

http://ftp.mozilla.o.../releases/52.9.0esr/

firefox-52.9.0esr.win32.sdk.zip

Seems to go well now. I can also enter my web.

Best Regards
 :-* :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:31 AM by Contro »