topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Error when capturing screenshot  (Read 3989 times)

ChrisS

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Error when capturing screenshot
« on: January 30, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Whenever I press print screen I get "ERROR Saving file: Cannot create file "C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshot-. . . Access is denied"
if I click "OK" I get second "Error saving file . . ."  Filename or path may be too long or missing drive letter, etc.   Change filename below or use File->Save As menu to specify filename, or File->Discard File to skip saving this file.
(Screenshot of errors attached)

These errors repeat a couple times so it is really difficult to use program at all. Any suggestions? I updated a couple times, currently have v4.31.2
thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Error when capturing screenshot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:04 PM »
Hi Chris, welcome to the site.

You've got it trying to save the screenshots in a place where it doesn't have permission to do so.  Just change the screenshot folder to a directory where you are allowed to save files.  The default would normally be something like your Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots folder..

I'm not sure how the screenshot folder got to be set where it is.. If you copied a ConfigDir.ini file that told the program to run portably even though its installed under your "C:\Program Files" directory, you should remove that ConfigDir.ini file, because otherwise Screenshot Captor will be trying to save its settings there also.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:11 PM by mouser »

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Hi Chris, welcome to the site.

You've got it trying to save the screenshots in a place where it doesn't have permission to do so.  Just change the screenshot folder to a directory where you are allowed to save files.  The default would normally be something like your Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\Screenshots folder..

So oddly enough I just got this on my computer this morning too.
When I launched the app (which for some reason didn't launch on startup as configured) the app seemed to hang for quite some time (20-30 seconds) and then I was able to take a screenshot.
I'm currently running a slightly older version (4.31.2)  (as i'm waiting for chocolatey to approve the install which is a whole other story!) and this is the first time I've seen this error message.
When I launched SC this morning all of my normal thumbnails are not showing up and the left screen is completely empty. When I went to File/Saving and loading, my screenshot folder is set to c:\andy\screenshots and not the location referenced in the error message (c:\program files(x86)\ScreenshotCaptor\screenshot - 20200214-113625.png)

If it makes any difference, my settings are stored in a redirected folder at \\servername\user$\myusername\My Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\

I've had the funky empty screen folder show up occasionally and a restart fixes it (and did in this issue). I was also then able to take a screenshot and carry on as normal without the original error message posted above.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:58 AM »
It does sound like Screenshot Captor is having a hard time dealing with the settings file at the redirected server location.
What you could do is:
  • Exit screenshot captor
  • Edit the ConfigDir.ini file in the C:\Program Files x86\ScreenshotCaptor\ directory, and tell it to store your Screenshot Captor settings file someplace on a local drive (making sure to uncomment the lines where you tell it what directory to use).

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Tried editing this on Friday and it seemed to work.
This morning I rebooted and it seems to have reverted back.
However the configdir.ini still points to my local onedrive location, yet the settings still show as my redirected folder location (see screenshot)
I did try moving the ini file to DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor directory but this didn't make any difference either.