topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of good Equalizer Software  (Read 2930 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In search of good Equalizer Software
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I'm looking for good equalizer software for my PC (Windows 10).

My speakers are, by default, very bass heavy, and very light on the treble. In order for me to be able to clearly hear the upper range, such as talking, I have to turn the volume up loud enough that when some deep/low bass sound comes out, it's very loud.

I used to have access to something on Windows 7. I think maybe it was the audio driver software. But (1) it didn't allow me to adjust the levels as much as I wanted to and (2) on Windows 10 my audio works without installing the driver from the manufacturer, so the equalizer software that came with the driver is no longer installed on my machine.

Does anyone know of any good software that allows me to adjust the levels for a particular audio output device? That is, I tend to use headphones a lot, and they are fine and don't need adjustments. But when I'm just using the regular speakers I would like to be able to crank up the treble and vastly reduce the bass.

Thanks!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of good Equalizer Software
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Equalizer APO - Make sure to have a good read of the tutorial first.

2020-01-18 10_41_57-Equalizer APO 1.2.1 Configuration Editor.pngIn search of good Equalizer Software

The obvious question:
Why not install the manufacturer's driver/software?

See if the equaliser has improved.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:35 PM »
The obvious question:

Because it's just on-board audio for a PC I built in 2011. This means (1) it's highly unlikely that the driver software has been updated to be compatible with Windows 10, and (2) it has been so long I don't even know the make and model of the motherboard or audio chipset and I'm too lazy to take my computer apart to check. :D

Also, I'm not even sure if it was the driver software or some other piece of software I found years ago and have since forgotten about or lost track of. It's also possible that it was something that Windows automatically installed from Windows Update, though I think that seems unlikely.

Equalizer APO - Make sure to have a good read of the tutorial first.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33 PM »
The obvious question:

Because it's just on-board audio for a PC I built in 2011. This means (1) it's highly unlikely that the driver software has been updated to be compatible with Windows 10, and (2) it has been so long I don't even know the make and model of the motherboard or audio chipset and I'm too lazy to take my computer apart to check. :D

Might be surprised, I just retired my ageing AsRock AM3+ board, (circa 2011), and I was still able to get RealTek drivers/software for it - updated driver from RealTek, software from AsRock.

As for being too lazy to take it apart, CPU-Z might identify it for the cost of a download.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Might be surprised, I just retired my ageing AsRock AM3+ board, (circa 2011), and I was still able to get RealTek drivers/software for it - updated driver from RealTek, software from AsRock.

As for being too lazy to take it apart, CPU-Z might identify it for the cost of a download.

As usual, you were not only very helpful, but also correct. :)

I already had CPU-Z downloaded with my PortableApps some years ago. I fired it up, found my motherboard, went to the manufacturer's website, found some drivers for the audio chipset, and it has a built-in equalizer.

My only complaint is that the equalizer applies to all output devices instead of allowing me to adjust it on a per-device basis. But it does have a couple of buttons I can press to change between presets, and I suppose these days I'm almost always using headphones, so I guess I'll just leave it off most of the time and use the quick-change button when needed to enable it.

Thanks very much!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 03:07 PM »
As usual, you were not only very helpful, but also correct. :)

I'm 100% sure my wife would dispute that. ;D