topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FeatureRequest: FTP Upload  (Read 11452 times)

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FeatureRequest: FTP Upload
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:15 AM »
Hi Mouser,
we have spoken about this topic via Email before, but I found a simple solution :).

1) I  think it is easy to add a shortcut for "take screenshot and upload it" - simplay say [ctrl + print]
2) SC takes the shot and saves it
3) SC generates a little text file with the following content (Name: ftpcon.txt):

OPEN [YOUR_HOST]
[YOUR_USERNAME]
[YOUR_PASSWORD]
PUT [THE_FILE]

4) SC calls ftp.exe with the parameter -s
C:\ ftp -s:ftpcon.txt

5) FTP will upload the Image

6) SC deletes "ftpcon.txt"

So the only thing to implement is the Textwriter and 3 fields for the preferences

just an idea :)

bye
Andreas

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FeatureRequest: FTP Upload
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:33 AM »
the tools menu in screenshot captor is designed to let you invoke arbitrary commands, and so would be ideal for this kind of thing.
though it doesnt have features for running multiple commands,etc.

however, what you are asking for is quite simple to write a tiny little commandline program that you could pass the filename on the commandline and it would create that file and invoke ftp on it.

you might be able to call just an ftp commandline and specify filename, host, username, pass all on the commandline in which case you wouldn't even need this.

now to the shortcut:
so it's important to you that you be able to do all this with one shortcut?  its not just that you want to be able to select an ftp command from tool menu, but you want a single shortcut key to take screenshot and then run the command.
if this is important to people then i could add some way to specify tool commands to after certain hotkeys.. but this might be a bit of work if there is no one else who cares about it..

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:58 AM »
however, what you are asking for is quite simple to write a tiny little commandline program that you could pass the filename on the commandline and it would create that file and invoke ftp on it.
I know - I wrote a litte hack in C# for myself, but maybe other user need this feature also...

you might be able to call just an ftp commandline and specify filename, host, username, pass all on the commandline in which case you wouldn't even need this.
This was also my first thought - but the standard "ftp.exe" which comes with Windows only supports login via parameters, not the upload by itself.

so it's important to you that you be able to do all this with one shortcut?
Not important - but nice. I worked alot with "hardcopy" (www.hardcopy.de) - which features this shortcut, so it is just only a habit ;)

its not just that you want to be able to select an ftp command from tool menu, but you want a single shortcut key to take screenshot and then run the command.
correct :)

if this is important to people then i could add some way to specify tool commands to after certain hotkeys.. but this might be a bit of work if there is no one else who cares about it..
Ok - no problem - if no one cares about, just drop it - it's only a suggestion

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 11:04 AM »
it seems like a good idea about the ftp -
i would love to collect a list of free utility programs and commandline calls that might be useful as tools, maybe to provide as an optional download addon, like your ftp command, watermarking,etc.  or at least provide a page showing people some suggested tools they could use.

i will try to figure out a good way to let the user specify tools to run on capture - its not hard to run the tools on capture of course, its providing a nice user interface in the options screen to do it.

i think it probably makes sense to add though, because right now the "on capture" tab of options lets you specify things to do like adding shadow etc., but you cant configure it to only do these on certain hotkeys, and it might be nice to have all of these things set up so you can say which operations to perform on which hotkeys.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 02:20 PM »
i'm making a list in help file of useful free addon tools that might be useful to add to screenshot captor tool menu.
crono do you think you would be willing to send me the little c# script you made for me to add in like an addon download or something?

so far all i have listed is your script and ColorCop:
http://www.datastic.com/tools/colorcop/

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 08:07 PM »
crono do you think you would be willing to send me the little c# script you made for me to add in like an addon download or something?
I will clean up the code a little bit and send it to you next Monday.

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 07:56 PM »
i'm making a list in help file of useful free addon tools that might be useful to add to screenshot captor tool menu.

I think imagemagick or theGimp would be also nice "Addons" for more advanced watermarking or image manipulation. TheGimp can be scripted via Script-Fu and it can be run from the shell. It is very powerfull - you can combine Images, adding borders and so on... Imagemagick is also good for watermarking (Text + Icons) and some othe nice FX

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 08:19 PM »
agree, i'd love to make a little page of instructions for how to configure imagemagick to do some fun stuff.
if anyone configures any fun tools, please most the tool configurations so i can add them to help file and web page.

(thanks for the ftp code crono)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:39 AM »
Please see this thread for a new easy solution starting with version 2.99.02 of Screenshot Captor.