topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Done: Batch mp3 bitrate converter  (Read 10224 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Done: Batch mp3 bitrate converter
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:33 AM »
So the other day, I was wanting to convert a bunch of mp3's bitrates, but being that I have a bunch of them, it would take me way to long to convert them one by one, so I was wondering if any one knew of a program, or could make one, that would convert multiple mp3 bitrates. I had a program that would do it, but it wouldn't keep the id tags, and I dont want to go back and change over 100 id tags.
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:53 PM by nite_monkey »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: Batch mp3 bitrate converter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:36 AM »
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:51 AM »
Winamp is a free media player...and there are plenty of free plugins for it.

This one may do exactly what you want:  http://www.winamp.co...etails.php?id=143606

Writes output to an mp3 encoded file using the LAME DLL. Features complete configuration of the LAME DLL v3.97.1b including all the presets. Now uses Winamp ExtendedFileInfo API for writing ID3 tag information. http://out-lame.sourceforge.net/

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/836/outlame162yf5.png

All you would have to do is load all the files you want to convert into Winamp's playlist and use this plugin as the output instead of the normal one for playing files.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:03 AM »
Transcoding is bad for the audio quality :(
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:22 AM »
If you have a need to lower the bitrate for some reason, this would be ok...as long as you understand that lowering the bitrate lowers the quality too. But you really can't increase it and get good results.

It's like frosting a cake. You can't take a cupcake's worth of frosting and get good results frosting a big layer cake with it. The quality of your cake will suffer.

If you are doing this so a program like Nero will not complain when you try to burn an audio CD, you are better off using a program like Acoustica MP3 CD Burner to do it...it won't complain and will burn just about any audio file you throw at it. It has always been my favorite for burning audio CD's. I only wish it worked with my new pc's burner.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:28 AM »
If you transcode low->high bitrate (which is silly idea), you'll often *lose* quality, because the encode process is destructive.

if you transcode high->low bitrate, quality will obviously be worse... but it'll also be worse than if you re-rip to the lower quality.

The only time when transcoding is okay is when the source is a lossless format... for instance, if you have all your audio CDs ripped to FLAC or APE, and want to generate .mp3 files for your portable player.
- carpe noctem

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:14 AM »
So the other day, I was wanting to convert a bunch of mp3's bitrates, but being that I have a bunch of them, it would take me way to long to convert them one by one, so I was wondering if any one knew of a program, or could make one, that would convert multiple mp3 bitrates.

I'm using AdvaLame Suite (an enhanced RazorLame) to transcode files.

http://mrcadvasoft.b.../avlame_vershist.htm

After installation you can right-click your MP3s and select transcode, or use the GUI. Be sure to select Edit/Transcode Mode *before* dragging MP3s into the GUI. A nice feature: It adds "_transcoded" to the filename, so source/target can be in the same folder + the original file is not lost.

ID3v1 tags will be kept while transcoding, ID3v2 tags will be lost.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 05:22 AM by wr975 »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Thanks kimmchii I think Dbpower amp is what I am looking for. I was wanting to drop the bit rate a little so I could fit more songs on a single cd. (not an mp3 disc) This seems to let me select multiple files and convert them to what ever bit rate I want, thanks! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:53 PM by nite_monkey »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 12:59 PM »
isn't an audio cd (or whatever they are called) encoded at a specific rate, i.e. 44.1 kHz 16-bit or something like that.

so whatever messing about you do with the mp3 conversion you'll still end up with the standard audio cd encoding?

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
Re: Done: Batch mp3 bitrate converter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 02:15 PM »
yes, but mp3 files at a larger bit rate are larger in size than smaller ones, so you cant put as many on a cd as you could if you shrunk the bit rate down.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I think nudone is referring to an audio CD, the type that can be played in a vanilla CD player... while you are referring to a bunch of .mp3 files stored on a data CD.

I can't understand why anybody would want to keep files at less than 192kbps... and I'm not even an audiophile O_o
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 02:26 PM »
sorry, i thought when nite_monkey said "not an mp3 disc" i assumed the conversion was going to be for an plain old audio cd. i see that wasn't the case now.