topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [2.18.04] Suggestions  (Read 7142 times)

mtemp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[2.18.04] Suggestions
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:58 AM »
Hello,
I've tried several screenshot programs:
http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
http://www.faststone.../FSCaptureDetail.htm
http://www.ntwind.co...oftware/winsnap.html

In most cases I only want to capture rectangled areas of different sizes to the clipboard (for email, inserting into word, photoshop, ...). PrintScreen is a small program und works fine. But you can't add simple arrows, text or rectangles -> this would be a nice feature for e.g. tutorials. And you can't add a thin border. Later I've found Winsnap. There you can add a border and even a nice looking shadow. But the handling is not so comfortable.
So I tried Faststone FSCapture which has such features. But the handling especially of the graphic functions (adding text, ...) is circuitous, too.

And now I'm trying Screenshot Captor... There are many, many features -- maybe too much ;)

# Problem: I've installed it with administrator rights (you need administrator rights, or?). But with restricted rights under XP you can't save the preferences, or?

# Strg+Q for deleting files is a uncommonly shortcut in XP, or? Usually you can close a program. But there is no shortcut for closing Captor (only Alt-F4?). For me it would be nice to close the program just by pressing "Esc" -- the easiest and fastest way.

# Sometimes I need the program window (to add text, ...) and sometimes I need only the captured region in  the clipboard just without any changes. So ist would be nice e.g. to assign a shortcut key to open (or not to open) Screenshot Captor after making a screenshot. Or: after making the screenshot there could appear a small "kontext menu" or something like with several options: open the program, copy captured region only to the clipboard and/or to file, and so on.

Greetings
Carlos

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [2.18.04] Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Or: after making the screenshot there could appear a small "kontext menu" or something like with several options: open the program, copy captured region only to the clipboard and/or to file, and so on.

I think this is a great idea and am putting it at top of my todo list.  If user chooses option to show Capture Menu after a capture it would show menu with:
1) Open Screenshot Captor with new Image
2) Discard Image
3) Print Image
4) Copy Image to clipboard
5) Copy Path to image to clipboard

great idea and this would be good for what other people have asked for before.  great idea.

as for closing screenshot captor.. let me think about this.. really screenshot captor is designed to stay running in your system tray.  You can exit from the File menu (Alt+F then x).

as for saving preferences with user account - i really need to investigate my programs more and perhaps add options about where to save preferenecs files.  for some people keeping them in the program directory is perfect (portability), for others it might be an issue.

mtemp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Or: after making the screenshot there could appear a small "kontext menu" or something like with several options: open the program, copy captured region only to the clipboard and/or to file, and so on.

> I think this is a great idea ...
thanks ;-))
... and thank you for this really great program.

>it would show menu with:...
suggestion:
a) maybe in later versions the user can define own menu entries (eg in combination with the scripting ability, "user scripts")
b) the entries should be activated by the keyboard -> "Open Captor" (sometimes faster than using the mouse where you at first have to navigate to this menu)

> You can exit from the File menu (Alt+F then x).
Sorry, I mean to close the program to the tray -> after making the shot und editing it within Captor I want to close Captor to the tray ("hide") as fast as possible...

Greetings, Carlos

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:22 AM »
> a) maybe in later versions the user can define own menu entries (eg in combination with the scripting ability, "user scripts")
Good idea.

> b) the entries should be activated by the keyboard ->
another good idea, yes.

> Sorry, I mean to close the program to the tray
ahh i see.. good idea for me to add a hotkey for that, will do.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:44 AM »
I think this is a great idea and am putting it at top of my todo list.  If user chooses option to show Capture Menu after a capture it would show menu with:
1) Open Screenshot Captor with new Image
2) Discard Image
3) Print Image
4) Copy Image to clipboard
5) Copy Path to image to clipboard

get ready for these features to be in new version to be uploaded today - if you ask me it's the best new idea to be added to screenshot captor in a long time  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 07:53 AM »
please check the latest beta (2.20.00) - it includes this new quick post-capture popup.