topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Solved] Capture moves window to other monitor  (Read 6716 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
[Solved] Capture moves window to other monitor
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Mouser, I somewhat recently upgraded my graphics card.  I have three monitors running on two cards, all use the same driver.

Ever since I did that, when I push the printscreen button (I like that) to enter capture mode, it creates a full-screen image of the monitor being captured and moves it to another monitor along with the sniper crosshairs and I have to move my mouse over there to select the region. 

It used to do this on the monitor where I am making the capture.  Now I have to select the area on the other monitor and it's annoying.

How do I fix this?  I'm running the latest version.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:02 PM by BGM »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Capture moves window to other monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:57 AM »
This sounds like it is a version of the problem that happens when the monitors are set to different HIGH-DPI settings (like when you have one 4k monitor and the others not).
Is that your situation? Can you confirm rebooting doesn't help?

Just to clarify, this happens when you do a Selected Region capture (normally shift+prtscr hotkey), yes?
And when it does this, the window that it creates, is it a magnified version of the monitor you are trying to capture?

What SC *should* be doing in this case, is basically taking a screenshot of your ENTIRE workspace (all the monitors) and then overlaying that over your screen, so that it can easily draw on it.  This seems to malfunction when there are multiple monitors and they are set to different high DPI options.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Mouser,  All three monitors are exactly the same, running at the exact same standard resolution of 1920 x 1080. 

So, I have my config set for printscreen button to enable region selection.

No, the screen isn't magnified - it just moves to the next monitor.  You know how when you go to select region, the screen "freezes" for a moment until you select the region?  I think what it really does is make a temporary full-screen bitmap of the full monitor's screen and then let you select what part of it you want.  Well, it's this full-screen bitmap that gets jumped to the next monitor.

Another thing is that when the full-size image is moved to the next monitor, when I select the part I want - that part works, but the auto-name that SC gives it is named by the highest window in the stack on that monitor.  So, if I have notepad open on the other monitor, the autonamer names it notepad, even if I am screenshotting something on the first monitor.

Restarting does not change anything.

Here are my monitor display configurations.
screenshot_NoxPlayer [Nox]_528.png[Solved] Capture moves window to other monitor

Actually, this only happens if I try to take screenshots on the center monitor #2, where the full-size image and the crosshairs move onto monitor 3 for me to crop.  If I hit the hotkey on monitor #1 or monitor #3, it seems to work just fine.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Actually, this only happens if I try to take screenshots on the center monitor #2, where the full-size image and the crosshairs move onto monitor 3 for me to crop.  If I hit the hotkey on monitor #1 or monitor #3, it seems to work just fine

ok now this is bizzarre!!!! i am dying to know more.

first things first, can i clarify what kind of a capture you are performing?  It's "grab selected region" right?
And on the monitors where you say it is working, so you mean that if you trigger the capture on monitor 1, you can select a region on the ENTIRE workspace right, across all 3 monitors yeah?

OR are you saying that when you are triggering this capture, it's only ever letting you select a region that is confined to a single monitor?

I would love to have a video screencast of what is going on..

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Mouser, yes, it is capture selected region.  I push printscreen and when I go to select the area, the crosshairs and the full-size image moves to the next monitor.
This happens on monitor 2 which is set to primary: the full-image jumps to monitor 3.  And I have the same problem even if DisplayFusion is not running.  If I try it on monitor 1 or monitor 3, it works like it ought to.

The "jump" happens as soon as I push the printscreen button.
If I push shift+printscreen to capture the last performed capture, I just get a white square - but the autoname is correct.

Yes, it's really strange.  But I can repeat the same issues over and over.
I don't know about a screencast (as it happens on two monitors), but I might be able to take a video with my camera.

If I capture the entire screen it works fine, too.

When I push printscreen to capture selected region, crossahairs and full-sized image appear on monitor 3.  I can select the region there.

So, in DisplayFusion, I tried changing the primary monitor to monitor3 and then I could could NOT grab an image on monitor 2 at all.  It's as if monitor 2 is immune.

Okay, now I've done it (playing with DF settings)...  Now printscreen only captures selected region on monitor 2, no matter what monitor I use the hotkey on (no matter where the mouse is) and it moves the fullscreen image of monitor 2 to monitor 3 every time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:46 PM by BGM »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 11:39 PM »
I wonder if the problem could be a 3rd party tool that might be moving the capture overlay window -- either DisplayFusion or another similar helper tool that is trying to fix a problem when a window is off screen? Could that be?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 01:27 AM »
I push printscreen and when I go to select the area, the crosshairs and the full-size image moves to the next monitor.
Is it possible that you have another program grabbing the PrtScr hotkey, pulling the focus to another monitor and thus messing up the SSC workflow?

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Well, I tried SC with DisplayFusion not running and had the same problem.
I don't have another program using printscreen, and SC is the only program I use for screen capture.

It's possible something else is wrong.  I am running Windows 7 on an MSI Z370 PC Pro motherboard ith an Intel Core i5-8600k.  The 8th gen Intels do not support Windows 7 (it works, they just have some bargain with M$ to force everyone to Win10) and so you can't use the onboard graphics with Windows 7, so to get around this, I use two graphics cards - an MSI GeForce GT 710 and a GT 730. 

But quite often something happens and I can't figure out what yet - where when I type into Mozilla programs, there is a typing lag.  And certain other programs will also lag.  Maybe the same thing happens with SC.  But it wasn't always this way, and I can't figure out what interferes with SC yet.  When I reboot the machine, it fixes the typing lag for awhile, but does not fix SC's issue.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Cant' figure it out.  I can't find any other program interfering.

SC seems to always ignore one of the monitors.

I have no issues with SnipPaste, if I use it instead of SC.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Well, I don't know what I did, but SC is working fine again.  Really, I can't think of anything significant.  It works on all three monitors now without shifting.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Well, I don't know what changed, but now it's broken again.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I figured it out!

I use a program called PowerPro, and it has on option to "Force all newly created windows onto the screen" - for when dialogue windows appear off the edges.  Well, this was enabled, and everytime SC's crosshairs would appear they would get zapped to the center monitor.  Apparently, Powerpro can't deal with three monitors.

I disabled the option and now it works perfectly again!
Thanks for SC, Mouser.  I'm sorry for the troubles.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Solved] Capture moves window to other monitor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 04:06 PM »
That makes complete sense.. see my suggestion above: "I wonder if the problem could be a 3rd party tool that might be moving the capture overlay window -- either DisplayFusion or another similar helper tool that is trying to fix a problem when a window is off screen? "

Thanks for sharing the solution  :up:

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Solved] Capture moves window to other monitor
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Mouser,  I know you said that, and I had tried SC without many other apps running but never suspected Powerpro's setting since I've been running Powerpro longer than SC.  I do remember enabling this setting not that long ago, however.

I never could figure out what it was.  I found it whilst trying to solve my other problem.