topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a way to increase load on system to simulate OOM  (Read 4530 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm having a problem in a production environment while performing a memory intensive operation, the process gets an OOM exception.  In the debugger, because my local machine is not under the same memory pressure and has access to the entire address space, I can't reproduce it.  I'm pretty sure it's concurrent processing when processing this large document in memory that's the problem, but I can't verify it.

Is there a utility or a way in visual studio where you can limit the memory that the debugger can access to simulate memory pressure on the system, so I can determine under what conditions the process runs out of memory?  Either external to VS or internal?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a way to increase load on system to simulate OOM
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Have you tried ProcessTamer?
The first SuperUser answer in this question suggests that... ;D ;D ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I'm not looking to limit the CPU, though, but the RAM available.  Both of those operate on CPU.  Process Tamer reduces the priority of the process allowing other processes to interfere with it.  Process Lasso does the same, though it does have an option for RAM, it's not a limit; it just triggers an action.  However, that answer did contain my answer it seems!  Thanks for that!  There's a different answer that talks about process governor that seems to do what I want!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Is there no debugger on the production machine?

With the Embarcadero RAD Studio software there is a piece of software (PIA server, if memory serves me) that you need to install on the production system and after that you can use the debugging environment from your own system to "hook" into the production system. Does the debugger software you use have a similar feature?

Such a solution does presume that you have full access to the production system. Not sure how such a solution would hold up if the production system is cloud-based.

I think I mentioned this software before, but here goes: API Monitor  This might give you a better idea of why process is running out of memory. It is portable freeware, so no installation required.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Is there no debugger on the production machine?

With the Embarcadero RAD Studio software there is a piece of software (PIA server, if memory serves me) that you need to install on the production system and after that you can use the debugging environment from your own system to "hook" into the production system. Does the debugger software you use have a similar feature?

Such a solution does presume that you have full access to the production system. Not sure how such a solution would hold up if the production system is cloud-based.

I think I mentioned this software before, but here goes: API Monitor  This might give you a better idea of why process is running out of memory. It is portable freeware, so no installation required.

Visual studio has such a feature, but I doubt that any enterprise that has external clients would want such a security risk installed on the production servers.  I don't even have access to the servers- that's the purview of Release Engineering.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:49 PM »
I was just mentioning it, because I have such a development machine in a network from the company that also manages the production server from that particular client. And access only at request.