topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: block the "Solitaire" game in Google's search results  (Read 6583 times)

Bruce Fraser

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: block the "Solitaire" game in Google's search results
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:10 PM »
The greatest productivity killer I know of is the Solitaire game which is built into Google Search.
I have looked for a way to stop me from playing it, to no avail. I suppose that means the greatest productivity killer is me. Call it whatever you want; I'm looking for help.
The obvious solution is to block Google Search altogether, and use Bing. But I'd rather not do that.
I use the excellent K9 Web Protection to block me from playing most games online.

I know zilch about programming, so don't know if what I'm requesting is even possible.
Thanks for considering it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: block the "Solitaire" game in Google's search results
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Your request is puzzling me; I didn't even know you can have games in Google Search! How did you get it in the first place? Yes, I can search for "Solitaire" and read that it has been included by Google since 2016. But I have never seen it, and I don't know where or how to get it. Maybe you need to adjust your Google Settings? Or install a simple advert blocker? They come free by the dozens, so I cannot think you would need any one here to write it for you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:33 PM by Curt »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Your request is puzzling me; I didn't even know you can have games in Google Search! How did you get it in the first place? Yes, I can search for "Solitaire" and read that it has been included by Google since 2016. But I have never seen it, and I don't know where or how to get it. Maybe you need to adjust your Google Settings? Or install a simple advert blocker? They come free by the dozens, so I cannot think you would need any one here to write it for you.

Yep...I'm with you on this...had no idea it existed until this thread.  I googled "Play solitaire on Google" and the game came up...that was the only way I could get it to show. 

Honestly...if it's that much of a time sink...the best idea would be to probably just not search for solitaire related search terms (I can't see that being an issue in most peoples daily lives).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:47 PM »
You could add the urls to a block list from one of the many extensions that let you block time-wasting sites.

https://www.google.c...olitaire&clb=clb

https://www.google.c...p;espv=2#q=solitaire

But that won't block it totally, as you can just search for it.

It appears that the trigger is based on the following div:

<div class="mhPjTc">Click to Play</div>

You could block that div in your adblocker.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 06:27 PM »
And don't forget to block this one, too: https://www.google.c...aire/standalone.html

Bruce Fraser

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:36 AM »
It appears that the trigger is based on the following div:

<div class="mhPjTc">Click to Play</div>

You could block that div in your adblocker.

Hi wraith808,
Thank-you; you were the first person with a helpful reply.
1) The URLs you give just go to empty pages, so that part wasn't helpful.
2) I don't use an adblocker. There are lots of them out there, each with its unique way of implementing their technique. Which do you recommend?
Thanks again for your help.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:10 AM »
So maybe https://www.google.com/?q=solitaire + the one that app103 gave above.  Can't you block specific urls in the K9 Web Protection?  You can also block that div in ublock/ublock origin.  From trying it, it looks like you'll have to choose the element picker (the eyedropper) and mouse over the Click to Play, and click it.  Then click create.  Then you'll have to do the same for the image above, and then with the element left behind after that (the empty white square).  That's seems like enough.

UPDATE: I tested it with a refresh.  It appears to come back after refresh, even though the URLs are the same.  There must be some minor difference.  I'd suggest adding those two urls to your K9 and seeing if that is enough.