topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Learning Italian? Then here's some apps and tools that may help you!  (Read 6045 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For the last 8 months or so, I have been studying Italian.  I want to now share with you the tools I have been using!
(Negli ultimi 8 mesi ho studiato italiano. Desidero ora condividere con voi gli strumenti che ho usato!)

For those curious: I am learning it with my partner mainly for fun, but also because we plan to eventually move to Italy (Somewhere around Scalea in Calabria, Southern Italy).  It's a beautiful language with an amazing history and has dragged me so deep into the learning experience that it's pretty much all I do in my free time now!

So...on to the tools, apps, software, etc!

Rosetta Stone (Downloadable Software OR Mobile App)
Now, although this is not free (or cheap for that matter), it is one of the best tools you can find for learning a language (pretty much any language!).  I've been using this almost daily (with a few breaks here and there) and have not regretted the money I have spent on it even once.

You can choose to get the downloadable version (one price, yours forever), or the app version (subscription).  They both have their own merits and which version you want depends entirely on your own learning needs.  The downloadable version (what I use) is one static price and you keep it forever, where the app is a subscription service.  The app has the advantage of having the ability to connect with native speakers and book tutor time with them!

Edit/Update: The only available payment method now is the monthly/yearly subscription.

Learn Italian with Paul Noble (Audio Book [Audible/CD/MP3 + Accompanying PDF])
Now, I've only listened to the first 2 hours of this audiobook so far, but have read the PDF about 5 times!  It's a very VERY useful resource and has actually increased my vocabulary quite a lot and I have been recommending this audiobook to quite a few people!

Duolingo (Online/App)
Now...be warned with this...Although it IS a great free resource for learning very basic phrases/individual words, it also teaches you some things that are not actually correct, and some other things that you question if you're even awake (things like "he takes the tiger from the zoo and gives it the meat"...I mean...that's a super useful sentence right there.....OH...and there is also the super creepy moments where it asks you to translate "why do we die" and then "they are among us" right after each other).  So yeah...use it on the basis it is free, but remember that you get what you pay for...and this is free ;)

Italian Learning and Language Server (Discord):
Super helpful community who will happily help non-natives learn the language (Speak directly to native Italians and other learners via voice or text, completely free!)

https://discord.gg/b5tqJDb

-----

Once I get an extra bit of spare time, I will also add a list of all the Android Apps I have been using (around 20 or so of them!)

In the meantime, if anybody else has any great resources to add to this, please feel free to share!!!

~Stephen
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:46 PM by Stephen66515 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Learning Italian? Then here's some apps and tools I use most!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Thanks Stephen. Looking at the Rosetta Stone link (via phone) I can only find subscription offers. Do you have a link to whatever other option there might be?
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Thanks Stephen. Looking at the Rosetta Stone link (via phone) I can only find subscription offers. Do you have a link to whatever other option there might be?

Oddly, I can only find the subscription version now too...which is odd because it's more expensive than I paid for a permanent license :| I do however see they have the comparison page...so it must be there...somewhere? https://www.rosettas...m/product-comparison

What language are you looking for?  I'll email support for you and try to grab a direct link.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Ah, scratch that - as it transpires (I spoke to a chat agent), they are only doing subscriptions now. :(

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 02:38 PM »
^ thanks again. I feared that...
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 02:56 PM »
^ thanks again. I feared that...

I suspect there are not many people like you or I who prefer to just download something, pay once, and forget about it forever, rather than paying a monthly subscription to be able to use it on 86 different types of device and such haha

What language are you looking at learning anyway?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1ba2_rosetta_stone_for_klingon.jpgLearning Italian? Then here's some apps and tools that may help you!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Klingon hah ;D

looking at improving my German --
I'm fluent, but crap at the finer points, and sometimes crap at the not-so-fine points...
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Klingon hah ;D

looking at improving my German --
I'm fluent, but crap at the finer points, and sometimes crap at the not-so-fine points...

That image above actually made me realise something....Rosetta Stone may no longer sell "one price forever" products....but there must surely be some of the CD versions floating around auction sites/those types of places.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dialects and Languages in Italy:

Dialetti_e_lingue_in_Italia.pngLearning Italian? Then here's some apps and tools that may help you!