topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13  (Read 2451 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Mind Collected on BDJ today 2018-07-13

http://www.bitsdujou...tware/mind-collected

Some people just work more efficiently when they operate on a visual basis. But databases just don’t seem to want to cater to the visually-minded – until now! Today’s discount software promotion is a powerful way to organize ideas and things visually, and it’s called Mind Collected.

Mind Collected lets you visually catalog ideas and things using photos, names, tags, notes, and interconnectivity. With Mind Collected, you’ll be able to automatically search and fetch images from the Internet that match what’s in your database, or use your own custom photos. Just input the things and concepts you want to catalog, make the connections to other things, and let your brain take over the rest!

The secret is this – by visually cataloging these things, you make them psychoactive, making your brain think about them more often without any additional effort. The result is a massive improvement in behavior that causes you to react more accordingly – recalling things better, making better food choices, the list is endless!

mind-collected-kg9bl.pngMind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13mind-collected-sktrs.pngMind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13mind-collected-rtcgs.pngMind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13

Has anyone used this?  It looks like an interesting concept.  Normally $49.99 - $19.98 today.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mind Collected on BDJ 2018-07-13
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Deal available again today, 14-July-2018.  I've figured out my problem with this program (and many like it)... it's single computer-centric, i.e. you have this collection, and it's only available on the one computer.  A couple of reviews on the BDJ page also have me giving a pass.

Worthless. I have multiple licenses for this software (I'm was very hopeful) and have sent numerous emails to the developer - who responds with boilerplate but never actually offers any help. File sizes quickly get enormous (a little over 1,000 thumbnails has created a Mind Collected file currently at 1,021,831KBs in size that either won't load or crashes immediately upon attempting a tag search). My need is simply to tag thumbnails, and search the tags, so I can quickly find them. I don't use any of the advanced features of this app so this shouldn't be hard (I think). I wouldn't mind (well, I could live with it) the massive file sizes the program creates if the program would then simply open and allow searches but it's painfully slow to open (4 mins, 30 seconds, with a fast i7 cpu, fast SSD & 16GBs of DRAM) - if it opens at all (it usually doesn't) and attempting a search is entirely futile (I last attempted to use it a month ago and it crashed 20 times on search in a row - I counted - this is when it opened at all). It might be the most aggravating piece of non-Microsoft software I've ever used. I'm still hoping an update happens one day (I really need what it should be able to do) but, currently, all my great investment in time and effort (basically at simply cataloging thumbnails) has been totally wasted. My advice is wait-for-an-update. Maybe it'll fix the mess that is this app?

I've had similar problems with WinCatalog (which often appears here on bits): VERY big db size, for the thumbnails, and NO virtual "cabinets"/folders, ie no gathering of files which originally are spread over different physical (NTFS or whatever) folders.

Then, I'm wondering about the silence of the developer, facing the above comments, interaction with a single developer being one of the bigger/biggest benefits of one-man* development ventures.

* = (deceased and) wonderful Karen Kenworthy being the sole (and tremendous) exception to that male-only rule in development, to my knowledge, up to now.

Also, I wonder where from to get visuals for originally-just-text elements in case, even just for my personal use: would it not be too much fuss, at the end of the day? (Since this tool is marketed as some idea-gathering tool, text-only ideas will be frequent after all?!)

So, yes, I'm in a line with other commenters here, wondering about the potential of such software, but not seeing it attained yet.

... and the following with the developers reply.

I purchased and used this software in the past (2015) at version 1.00. The issue I have is, it is only at version 1.00.37 in over three years. For all practical intents, it is dead software more than active or alive.
Just go into knowing you are buying software that apparently sees no time put into it by the developer to keep moving it forward.

Hello, thank you for your comment. It is true that we haven't release a new version. Partly that's because we focus on our flagship product Swift To-Do List, but Mind Collected is definitely not a dead software. We are prepared to update it if it's necessary. Overall this has been a very stable release.

If it's not a priority for the developer, then as a user, I'm not going to make it a priorty for me.