topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Hosted Public Forums - very interesting service  (Read 4310 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free Hosted Public Forums - very interesting service
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Free Hosted Public Forums

Our forums are truly public, democratic and absolutely free. Nabble's advanced community filtering gives you only the best content without the need for moderation. Find forums that interest you or easily start your own in minutes.

Here is an image of some of their top-level forums

from www.monkeyfilter.com
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Hosted Public Forums - very interesting service
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:35 AM »
There is one very big concern about free forum hosting:

your data

Most do not allow you to back it up yourself and have a copy of it...meaning if for any reason they decide to delete it, all the posts are gone forever. Or if you decide to move your forum off their site, you can't take your database with you.

And you can't tweak it any farther than editing the html/css in the template to alter it's look, and from what I have seen at Nabble, they don't even allow you to do that.

If you are looking for free Invision Power Board hosting, Forumer.com might be an option to consider. But like I said...they own your database and you will never get a copy of it. But at least they let you personalize the look. (they also slap google ads on it)

This was my forum hosted by Forumer for my chatroom before it's demise. (I never even got to finish tweaking the template  :()

And this is what the basic untweaked forum looks like.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Hosted Public Forums - very interesting service
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:43 PM »
this is an old thread but i am curious if anyone has used this service. unlike others, they offer "free full export if you want to leave". so is this possible?

ws-nabble-1.png
http://www.nabble.com/free-forum.html