topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Launchbar Commander Menu - Make Right Click require a password before continuing  (Read 5186 times)

kimbriki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there any genius out there who is able to come up with a coding snack idea to incorporate a password prompt before the "Configure Preference and Options" right click menu option can be accessed in LaunchBar Commander.....to stop an arbitary user from fiddling with settings.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
See related thread:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=45421.0

EDIT//
Deozaan moved this back to the LBC board -- it was actually intentionally posted in the coding snack board, as suggested in in LBC (link above)
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, as I said in the other thread, I'm 'leaving the floor for mouser to come with a solution' (iow, won't touch it with a pole...), but somebody seems to expect that to happen within a week. And, IMHO, it's not even feasible to stop them from opening/messing with the settings if you can still edit the ini file with a plain editor from Explorer..., or at least that's the next 'workaround' I expect users to take if the settings pane is blocked :-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
See related thread:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=45421.0

EDIT//
Deozaan moved this back to the LBC board -- it was actually intentionally posted in the coding snack board, as suggested in in LBC (link above)

Sorry, I was not aware of the fact that this was already requested in the LBC section and that mouser had already said he wasn't going to do it. I'll move it back to the coding snacks section.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:11 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tom

kimbriki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I have come up with my own solution, I'll share it here to see if it will help others.
I used AutoHotKey to do this, and below is the code I used. Basically it looks for the title of your dock in LaunchBar Commander (My First Dock) in this case, and makes the mouse Right Click Button act the same as the Left Click button. It only affects the launchBar Commander dock, and other windows and programs run unaffected. Just 4 lines of code.

#IfWinActive My First Dock ;If this window is active "My First Dock"
RButton::LButton  ;Makes Right Button same as Left Button, but only in LaunchBar Commander.
#IfWinActive  ; This makes all other windows unaffected by the above mapping
return

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:38 AM by kimbriki, Reason: Updated »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I have come up with my own solution
But what makes you think that your users won't know how to stop this AHK script (right-click, exit, or kill it from task manager) so they can still mess around with the LBC settings... This has been my concern since you requested this and why I responded like I did. I'd call this a temporary workaround, at most.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Well, LBC seems to have been necessarily designed with the objective of making it easy for the user to change/personalise its settings. Thus it would seem to defeat that objective by blocking the settings from being changed.

However, if you still wanted to stop the settings being changed, then it might be simplest to take a backup copy of the "correct" .ini file(s) - i.e., the ones with the settings as you want them to be kept - and keep the backups in a backup folder. Then restore (copy) them back to the LBC folder prior to each relaunching of the LBC proggy. That way, from your perspective, the settings will have effectively and unobtrusively remained unchanged - without your needing to expend unproductive resources/effort in a workaround controlling/blocking other users. This could be handled by (say) a batch file or an AHK script. It could be run from a USB thumb drive.

I already do something similar to this for one excellent proggy that I use a lot. By design, all/most of its settings (which can be changed) are kept in the Registry. I have all manner of nifty setting that I make to it. However, under certain crash and Windows Update conditions, those settings can get completely wiped and it takes quite a while to manually set them all up again exactly as I want them, through the proggy UI. The proggy has a "Save settings now" function. So what I did was get the settings exactly as I wanted them and then saved the resultant "perfect" Registry settings to a .reg file (which becomes my backup of the settings). It is then a matter of seconds for me to restore the settings if they get wiped again - I just run the .reg file, which updates the Registry. I could also use this same process to set up and restore specific settings to suite different circumstances/users.
I can also take the proggy and the .reg settings to another PC and immediately have it all set up just as I want it.

Hope this helps or is of use.