topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Windows Admin Tools  (Read 3046 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free Windows Admin Tools
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:11 PM »
I receive an email in one of my accounts with the link to download this program from manageengine.com

The first thing seems to ask me is a domain. I think I haven't because I use blogs from blogger and wordpress.

Do you know this program ?

Do you think is good ?

:-*

Moz2 - 28_09_2017 , 20_11_57.pngFree Windows Admin ToolsMoz2 - 28_09_2017 , 20_12_09.pngFree Windows Admin ToolsMoz2 - 28_09_2017 , 20_12_22.pngFree Windows Admin Tools

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Windows Admin Tools
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Whether ManageEngine is good software to manage your computer network, I don't know. But I do know that this product is already available for years, so it will have its uses.

Still, I think it is way overkill for home use. And as you ask about Domains, it would be safe to assume you don't have such a system deployed at home. Not a bad thing, because the average home network consist of 2 or3 computers, perhaps a tablet or two and a few phones. Not worth the costs and hassle to set up a domain for that.

Very simply stated: a Domain (in the context of the ManageEngine software) contains at least one computer that acts as a Domain Controller and often lots and lots of other computers, that all can be managed/configured from the Domain Controller. And if you don't run any Server edition of Windows anywhere in your network, you won't have a Domain.

The ManageEngine software is really intended for companies that do have a network managed by one or more Windows-based Domain Controllers.

Alternatives for this type of software that are intended for small networks at home, I do not know. Perhaps a search on website: https://alternativeto.net/ will work out for you.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:04 AM »
Whether ManageEngine is good software to manage your computer network, I don't know. But I do know that this product is already available for years, so it will have its uses.

Still, I think it is way overkill for home use. And as you ask about Domains, it would be safe to assume you don't have such a system deployed at home. Not a bad thing, because the average home network consist of 2 or3 computers, perhaps a tablet or two and a few phones. Not worth the costs and hassle to set up a domain for that.

Very simply stated: a Domain (in the context of the ManageEngine software) contains at least one computer that acts as a Domain Controller and often lots and lots of other computers, that all can be managed/configured from the Domain Controller. And if you don't run any Server edition of Windows anywhere in your network, you won't have a Domain.

The ManageEngine software is really intended for companies that do have a network managed by one or more Windows-based Domain Controllers.

Alternatives for this type of software that are intended for small networks at home, I do not know. Perhaps a search on website: https://alternativeto.net/ will work out for you.
I only have windows 8.1
the pc
the laptop or portatile
the mobile under android
the ebook kindle
I work alone. (sometimes in collaborations....)

:P

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50 AM »
You might try: SpiceWorks. On the site: SharewareOnSale  there was an offer of a similar type of software too. Maybe those software packages can accomplish your plan with your hardware/software/network setup.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33 AM »
You might try: SpiceWorks. On the site: SharewareOnSale  there was an offer of a similar type of software too. Maybe those software packages can accomplish your plan with your hardware/software/network setup.
SpiceWorks sounds me a lot.

Thanks !