topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Malware/Antivirus Deceptions  (Read 3711 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Malware/Antivirus Deceptions
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I just got a message from malwarebytes when going to a youtube video (that I know the person that posted it) that Ransomware was detected and quarantined.  However, there was nothing in the logs, or the quarantine for that particular detection, which I thought was strange.  If you're going to pop that up, then you should log that, right?  After all, the user will be curious.

I tried to go to the same youtube video, thinking that if they detected it once, and aren't blocking the site, they'd show something else.  But nothing happened.

That brought me to the uncomfortable idea that perhaps they pop up those blocked references to make you think that they're doing something and are indispensable.

But they wouldn't do that, right?

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malware/Antivirus Deceptions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52 PM »
You might want to ask about this on the MBAM forum.  Someone there may be able to shed some light on this.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:16 PM »
You might want to ask about this on the MBAM forum.  Someone there may be able to shed some light on this.

I just wanted to spur some conversation.  Again, not signing up for another forum to try to figure out something that should be obvious.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:34 PM »
But they wouldn't do that, right?

Of course they wouldn't.

BTW, I have this great piece of real estate, and I have this little cash-flow problem, so I'm willing to impart the property at a fraction of its real value. Would you be interested? Of course you would, what am I wondering about? It's really a steal at this price point. Just sign here will you?