topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Odd bug with FARR  (Read 6518 times)

chrisGrind

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Odd bug with FARR
« on: July 16, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Just started using FARR and I really like it. Prior to FARR  I was using Autohotkey for all my scripting needs. I still need it for some things but FARR has replaced my simple scripts.
For example, Ctrl-Shift-O opens Opera (or gives focus to the running instance), opens a new tab, and types "g SPACE" for a new search. I use that a lot. It would be nice if FARR had the option to give focus to an already running application.

Anyway, the problem I found is when I start cmd.exe the command prompt PATH is wrong. By wrong, I mean it's not what I have in the system properties. Very strange.
When I start cmd.exe from Start menu > Run it's correct.

Using procexp I noticed that when launched from FARR that the path was correct but the command line argument wasn't.
The shell started from Start > Run has a Command line of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" while FARRs has nothing for the command line.

Strange, yell if you want more details.

Thanks for the great software,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:01 PM by chrisGrind »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Odd bug with FARR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:16 PM »
that's really interesting about cmd.exe - i will try to fix it.

It would be nice if FARR had the option to give focus to an already running application.
can you elaborate?

chrisGrind

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:42 PM »
It would be nice if FARR had the option to give focus to an already running application.
Let's say I have an application like process explorer already open and running.
It would be nice if FARR had the option to return focus to process explorer instead of starting a new instance as it does now. For some applications it makes sense to always start a new instance, for others it doesn't.

I know there has been a lot discussion around v2 and the different ways folks use FARR.
Like I mentioned previously I have several Autohotkey scripts that are similar to FARR but slightly different.
Some of the scripts allow me to start an application if it isn't running, and if it is running it will simply give that application focus. Opera, JEdit, Excel,TheBat are applications that are given focus if they're already running. Explorer, Cmd, xplorer2 start new instance even if old ones are already running.

Just a thought.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:47 PM »
yes i understand;
actually what you are asking is something that should be added under the category of working with existing processes, in addition to some other options for killing such processes, etc.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 04:52 AM »
chrisGrind: Notice that you can currently type "Search something" to search something in the web. You can also make "g something" work just as it does in opera. (there's a thread here in the forum that shows how to do it, i just can't find it right now)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 05:16 AM »
Anyway, the problem I found is when I start cmd.exe the command prompt PATH is wrong. By wrong, I mean it's not what I have in the system properties. Very strange.
When I start cmd.exe from Start menu > Run it's correct.

Using procexp I noticed that when launched from FARR that the path was correct but the command line argument wasn't.
The shell started from Start > Run has a Command line of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" while FARRs has nothing for the command line.

That has a lot to do with where and how it's started. You will notice that when you start it from start>run>cmd.exe that the path is "C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile>"

While if you start it from start>run>"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" it will start in "C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

I am not sure of the exact argument to pass on command line when starting it in order to start it in any directory you desire. Maybe someone else can post & explain how to do that....and then explain how to do it with FARR.

chrisGrind

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 08:13 AM »
Right, the issue isn't the starting directory though. The issue is my PATH environment variable is wrong when started with FARR and right when started any other way.

chrisGrind

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:04 PM »
OK I have an update. I think I know what's causing this now. It's the installer. Here's what I think is happening.
I installed FARR and launched it from the installer.
The installer was then closed, so FARR's parent is non-existent.
Then when FARR launches a child process it doesn't setup the environment correctly, perhaps because FARRs parent process is non-existent.
This is my hypothesis because once I stopped FARR and restarted it, everything worked correctly. IOW launching command prompts have the correct path.
HTH

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 02:48 AM »
ahh that is very interesting.. i'll have to check that out and see if perhaps farr started from the installer is acting up, that would make some sense.