topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for programming language  (Read 2929 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for programming language
« on: May 03, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Hello!

My criterion to choose a programming language to dwell on is to be well documented and have easy ways to implement things (are they called libraries/interfaces??)

I don't want to have to write tons of code to do a simple thing and reinvent the wheel, I would rather download an extension or something and do it faster/easier.

Which programming language is the best in such terms?

thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for programming language
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Please state all your requirements before we jump to conclusions and have to recapitulate later, when you formulate more 'wishes'.
The current slim list sounds like you have never done any programming before, so maybe you can elaborate on what you want to try to achieve.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 02:48 AM »
And talk about what platforms you have ambitions to program for (Windows desktop only? Mobile phones? Web?)

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:32 AM »
Programming is like working the best jigsaw puzzle in the world. You get to use as many pieces as you want, as many times as you want. And if you don't like those pieces, a different language gives you a different set of pieces. You need to make sure the pieces all fit together, but in the end you have created a thing of beauty -- or, if you're like me, maybe you need to keep moving those pieces around awhile more... :P

Ath's question is good, what are you trying to achieve? Do you have a specific project in mind? I have always learned a language better if I have a specific project to do. Are you writing something to process data in a batch job? Manage some equipment in real time? Write a video game? Do you want to have a pleasing GUI or is a command line more appropriate? Everything on one machine or do you need to pull data from others? Client server type app, peer to peer? Does it need to be super efficient? Will you need to change it very often? Most languages will let you do most of these things, but everything won't necessarily be easy. If you can match a language's strengths to your goal, you will have an easier time of it.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Hi kalos,

You remind me of one of my boss. He wanted similar things. In fact he felt I (programmer) was unnecessary as a project can be completed with drag and drop, download code / library etc. by anyone !

Well, I can tell how he proceeded with few of his men.

VB.Net was selected. Biggest merits :
1. Programmers available in thousands, nearly every student of Computers knows it.
2. Internet is full of code of VB.Net, Stack OverFlow, Code Project etc.
3. Lots of Libraries on it are available some even free.
4. You got the idea.

I do not know VB.Net, but the project is still not complete. Reason, he put cart before the horse.

My advise, first decide what you want to do, then look for the hammer. The same hammer can not be used to fix a broken old chair and a broken gold chain.

DC is full of programmer with extensive knowledge in VB.Net (yeah), Delphi, C++, Autohotkey, PHP, Java, you got the idea :)

Regards,

Anand