topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Coding Snacks listing page  (Read 15850 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
New Coding Snacks listing page
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I'm going to set up a page for non-skrommel user-written coding snacks much like this page of c++ builder contest entries, which is based off of the blog system:

https://www.donation...ests/bcb/entries.php

Basically each item is linked to a forum post where there is a screenshot,etc.

So I could use some help identifying the posts where user-written (non-skrommel) coding snacks are posted.

Then the coding snacks items will be added to the top of the coding snacks page.

Please post replies here with links to such coding snacks posts.

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Coding Snacks listing page
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Mouser & I were messaging about some new ideas for Coding Snacks. First up, a monthly bounty could be available -- where everybody participating would take home a portion of it. Second, a page somewhere on the site where people could get or post updates to active projects. I'm not totally sure what would go here (I'm sure Mouser will jump in at some point to expound on the idea a bit), but maybe a way to make announcements that affect all coders or something.
Does anybody have some ideas that would add to or improve the process?
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 10:25 AM »
i really am liking this idea more and more.

consider:

http://minireviews.donationcoder.com
http://blog.donationcoder.com

now there is:

http://codingsnacks.donationcoder.com

BUT

i think we can bring more attention to pending coding snacks and make it a more interesting thing for more coders.
so i was thinking a page of OPEN coding snacks, and set aside a little bit of money each month to automatically distribute as donationcredits to anyone doing substantial work on coding snacks, as a recognition of what they add to the site.  This wouldn't really be a bounty as much as it would be simply giving something from the site fund to support coding snack authors.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:27 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:44 AM »
note the point of this is NOT to spur competition in the coding snacks section at all.
perhaps its best not to have a set amount each month but simply say that we will make a bigger effort to reward coding snack authors from site fund, without using a fixed formula..

wreklessxx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Mouser,

I'm really afraid that either this is going to sound hopelessly lame, or that it was done years ago, but here goes. I find myself having to fill out a lot of forms on the web, and I'm always having to type my web address - I find this to be incredibly boring, and I'm sure that someone has written some kind of program which will let me just do a couple of keystrokes, to accomplish this task. And there might even be other keystrokes that can be assigned to other similarly mundane tasks. If such an application does exist, could you please let me know about it, or if by some miniscule chance that it does not exist - how difficult would it be to  create such a thing?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:30 PM »
wreklessxx: i think you're looking for something that most browsers already have: autocompletion. Opera has it, and firefox and internet explorer also have it. Another option is Roboform. (notice that this is completelly on the wrong section of the forum, might be better to post in the general software discussion section.

Jock Posen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Hi there - thanks for a great website.  I was wondering whether some bright individual could write a  program entitled "Currency Sign Convertor" (or words to that effect) that loads on boot-up and works with any word-processor/spreadsheet.  On holding down the shift key and pressing the existing currency sign key, the program would toggle through the major world currency signs (dollars, pounds, euros....) and once the required sign was displayed on the screen, the shift key could be released to accept that sign.

Maggy160

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:49 AM »
@ Jock Posen: Accents.exe can already do exactly that, can be found on this site, just edit the ini file.
@wreklessxx: InformEnter extension in Firefox does a much better job than auto completion.
Both: I believe your requests are a tiny bit off topic here, there is a subfolder in coding snacks called Post New Requests Here.
I'm a newbie in this forum myself and I believe:
-they don't eat human flesh
-they've already been fed