topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Year, New Question!  (Read 6603 times)

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Year, New Question!
« on: January 04, 2017, 03:30 AM »
Happy new year everyone - there'll be interesting challenges aplenty.

A small but persistent challenge for me is to change the way folders are displayed in my Windows7 taskbar.
If I've got 6 folders open I'd like to color-code, number, or iconify each one for easy recognition.

I've gone through various of the Windows display settings without finding a solution.
For example, I can set up a toolbar organizer that allows me to iconify the links within a given toolbar - but that doesn't do anything with taskbar folder links.

So maybe it's time to dig a bit deeper.
First point of enquiry.... here!

Does anyone know of a tweak or tool that changes the way folder icons are displayed in the taskbar?

:)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Year, New Question!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Would this How-To Geek link (Windows 7 oriented) be helpful?
Or a TenForums thread with a similar gist for Windows 10.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:07 AM »
If I've got 6 folders open I'd like to color-code, number, or iconify each one for easy recognition.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, right-click the folder, choose the "Customize" tab, and click the "Change Icon..." button. 

2017-01-04_080835.pngNew Year, New Question!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:19 AM »
to clarify:

A small but persistent challenge for me is to change the way folders are displayed in my Windows7 taskbar.

do you mean: the folders you happen to have open at the moment, in different Explorer windows?
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:50 PM »
hello dglp,
wouldn't it be a lot easier to use Taskbar thumbnail previews? I think it will, because I don't think what you are asking for, is possible!

enable / disable thumbnail previews:

https://superuser.com/questions/202843/how-to-disable-windows-7-taskbar-thumbnails-preview
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52265-taskbar-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06 AM »
Hi all,
sorry for the delay in replying - I hadn't set up the reply notificaiton option.
Will look at links now and report back.

For clarification, the Windows Explorer tabs are open on my taskbar, and are all the same pale yellow icon. That icon doesn't change even if I use the above-mentioned option.

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15 AM »
Would this How-To Geek link (Windows 7 oriented) be helpful?
Or a TenForums thread with a similar gist for Windows 10.
Thanks. It looks like it might do the job - though it seems to involve some fairly fiddly setup; perhaps changing themes, and so on.

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:17 AM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, right-click the folder, choose the "Customize" tab, and click the "Change Icon..." button.
I did do that originally, and it works for some displays, not not on the taskbar.
I also tried the shortcut method, where I send a shortcut to the taskbar, and change the shortcut properties.
The display within Explorer accepts the change, but the taskbar stubbornly remains with the original icon.

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18 AM »
do you mean: the folders you happen to have open at the moment, in different Explorer windows?
Yes. I have pinned several folders to the taskbar, and keep them open permanently.

dglp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 04:23 AM »
hello dglp,
wouldn't it be a lot easier to use Taskbar thumbnail previews? I think it will, because I don't think what you are asking for, is possible!

enable / disable thumbnail previews:

https://superuser.com/questions/202843/how-to-disable-windows-7-taskbar-thumbnails-preview
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52265-taskbar-thumbnail-previews-enable-disable.html

Thanks for this.
These methods may work - though as noted above, they look pretty long-winded.
One thing that is an improvement though is the 7TT app mentioned in superuser.com. Choosing the 'text only' display is an improvement over showing the thumbnail display. While it doesn't identify each folder at a glance, it is much easier than clicking on each tab to see the contents.