topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bookmarking teamwork  (Read 20337 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bookmarking teamwork
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Thanks, I've spiffed it up.  Learned a lot more about what is out there. Now we see why it is hard for the companies, lots of alternatives and competition.  A "Top 10" or 25 list would be interesting.

Note the section on tool pages used to describe the tools on the upper right. The Zeef on Content Curation. is especially strong.

One thing lacking in Papaly (and many tools) is a good feedback and discussion and improvement method (e.g. uservoice).  Maybe such a page should be connected to the Papaly et al. page.  Any suggestions as to how?

Also a minor lack is (unless I missed it) the ability to load all the urls in a category at one time. I use that in Firefox bookmarks a lot.

I'd like to learn more about the Cloud Notes section in the Awesome Websites. I think Fargo may be a good addition there.  And Simplenote is not there. While I generally use Evernote, the idea of a pure online service is always interesting.   Especially for easy sharing.

================

ADDED:
Back to Papaly.  Even though I make it 4-5-6-7 columns, the url to view it by guests only shows three columns.
https://papaly.com/s...Curation-Start-Pages

This was surprising. However, others show up with more columns, so maybe there is a setting?
https://papaly.com/p...lds-Top-500-Websites

Right now, Zeef is in the lead.  They have a vibrant community of of existing contributors so in some cases (eg. SEO) you can link to multiple interesting pages to start. Saw some suggestion possibilities. Technically, Zeef and Papaly both had their strong points, but Papaly is dormant now internally.

Granted, there are a few different needs.  Your own workspace, corroboration on biz and projects, curating material for a web page or newsletter. Aid to social marketing. Visual bookmarking. There are $ considerations on some.

Which ones have given the best buzz?

Steven
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:48 AM by Steven Avery »

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 04:42 AM »
One thing lacking in Papaly (and many tools) is a good feedback and discussion and improvement method (e.g. uservoice).  Maybe such a page should be connected to the Papaly et al. page.  Any suggestions as to how?

Also a minor lack is (unless I missed it) the ability to load all the urls in a category at one time. I use that in Firefox bookmarks a lot.

Both your wishes can be found in the Papaly- but they are easy to miss or difficult to find in some cases. I'll try to explain. When sharing a papaly board, you can't find the options when viewing your page through that particular given share board url. Doesn't matter if you are the editor or a visitor. But let's try it this way (Using the world's top 500 website board as example):

Screenshot_1.jpgBookmarking teamwork

Leave the shared-board view by  clicking the menu upper right corner and choose 'home.' When you get there scroll down a bit and find the World's top 500 board again in your list. Click on it to open it again, and you'll notice that the view is a little bit different than when we check de page through the shared url. In my case, it has another theming layout. But more important, it also shows more options now if you look close.

Screenshot_2.jpgBookmarking teamwork

Image 1.jpgBookmarking teamwork

When hovering the mouse cursor on category top there is now a extra edit menu visible. From this tiny menu you can use the 'open all url's at once option that you pointed out as option on your wishlist  :)

It's still something that can be extended for even better feedback experience- but there is already an option to leave comments hidden right about (see screens below) here:

Screenshot_3.jpgBookmarking teamwork
Screenshot_4.jpgBookmarking teamwork

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45 AM »
I'll get back to that in a bit. First let me show you my puzzle.

Here is a pic of my Papaly home page .. on the Bookmarking one.
And I could share the page we are looking at.  (And I did see the colouring theme possiblility.)

sshot-1.pngBookmarking teamwork

And the url that I get on share board is:
https://papaly.com/a/pyMb
which expands to
https://papaly.com/s...Curation-Start-Pages

The problem is that the format is totally different and some categories are not included.
e.g. Bookmarks Online in the 2nd column.

Whoops. It seems that that one was deleted.  How? No confirmation, for sure.
The top 10 or so entries are in the pic here. 

Let's see if their support is still active (they mention helping with an undelete.)
https://papaly.userv...accidentally-deleted

Steven
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:09 AM by Steven Avery »

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2016, 11:54 AM »
The problem is that the format is totally different and some categories are not included.
e.g. Bookmarks Online in the 2nd column.

There is a little weirdness there I admit. Thinking with you, this is how it looks on my screen:

Screenshot_5.jpgBookmarking teamwork

Have you tried playing a bit with the font size settings? See if that changes anything?

Screenshot_6.jpgBookmarking teamwork

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Thanks!
Right now, because of:

The weirdness in display
Losing a category
Question of the future of Papaly

And the similar goodness of Zeef (with a stronger community with boards accessible) I am going to hold back on more Papaly research.  Unless I get a good response from Papaly support.

Steven

Steven

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Some tools based on Annotatorjs which look very interesting
http://annotatorjs.org/showcase.html

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Some tools based on Annotatorjs which look very interesting

Very interesting indeed, great list!  :)

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Hi. Google Keep seems another useful service! I'm just starting to use it.
Notes can be tagged and shared to be edited by collaborators.
There is a handy button to send notes to Google Docs documents
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:26 PM by kilele »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31 PM »
(started new thread - Moderator please delete this post)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:11 AM by MilesAhead »