topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DNS Service  (Read 4332 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DNS Service
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:36 PM »
One important note up front:  I will make a whopping $5.00 if you subscribe to this service.
Second note: I'd tell you the same thing if I didn't.

DNS Made Easy is a DNS plus other stuff service provider.  I have been using them for many years and have had ZERO problems.  I mention this because I have friends and acquaintances who have wasted many hours of their lives sweating over DNS and Mail Server issues, when they really didn't have to.

Yes you can host your own DNS or use the one from your ISP.  If that makes you happy, go for it.  I started using DNS Made Easy when I hosted web sites out of my house.  DNS is notorious for it's ugly configuration and it's terrible security.  I didn't want to learn to write DNS configs or keep up with the daily security patches, so I tried DNS Made Easy.  They have a nice web interface, with lots of pretty pictures and little help wizards. 

The also provide Backup Email Services, Full Email Services and a few other neat things.  They are all reasonably priced and, as I said before, I have had ZERO problems.

They claim 100% uptime on DNS and I believe them.

Here is the link that pays me: http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/u/6573

Feel free to ask me any questions or just visit their site.  I hope you save yourself some hassle.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DNS Service
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:13 AM »
at the very least, throw this link in your bookmarks in case you ever have a dns problem:

http://209.123.109.175/faq/7472 (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7472 )

This is a list of public dns servers anyone can use. Handy to have in case of an emergency.

If you do have a problem, having the IP based link rather than the URL will be an answer to a prayer.

(This is for when you suddenly find yourself unable to get any web pages unless you type in an IP instead of the URL)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:17 AM by app103 »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:29 AM »
I run my own dns caching server at home, made by www.ntcanuck.com, and I have never had a DNS issue. Before that, I would utilize ns1.berkeley.edu and ns2.berkeley.edu as both proved extremely reliable.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Just to clarify, DNS Made Easy is used as the Name Server for Hosted Domains.   They do not allow you to use their DNS Server for resolving your outgoing surfing.  They become the Authoritative Source for Name Resolution on your domains.

I'm currently hosting about 15 domains with them.

I actually used to use a free DNS service (can't recall which one) and things were pretty good.  Their interface was a little clunky and you had to create your own DNS records, just like creating a DNS Record for hosting your own.  Too much PITA for me.  They only had 2 DNS Servers in the mix and actually had a system failure for a few days that took my sites down. (The sites were up, just no DNS for them)  But heck, the price was right :)
Insert Brilliant Sig line here
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:01 PM by Rover »