topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CHS more colourful default?  (Read 5262 times)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS more colourful default?
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:50 AM »

Hi there,

I just launched the portable version x64 from scratch. Maybe you wish to add some more colors to it?
A positively meant tip only.

Yes I know.. one can set a lot of colors everywhere within CHS, but wouldn't be nicer to have a bit more colorful default skin?

Attached a clipboard copy of donationcoder CHS home page vs a random selected other clipboard manager.

again, positively meant!

=
SaveMe-FirstRun-02082016 093828.pngCHS more colourful default?
=
=
CHS-FirstRun-02082016 094209.pngCHS more colourful default?
=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: CHS more colourful default?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Eh? Is there a "lack of colour" in CHS?
One of the things that I rather like about CHS is the extent to which you can customise the UI (User Interface) - areas that can be made more conducive to easier perception and improved ergonomics, including, for example,  the "skin" panel colours and font(s) and font sizes, and the layout options.

Two examples:
       Here's a "standard" layout that I use, with colours and fonts that suit my peculiar needs:

02_1364x768_A0BD7154.pngCHS more colourful default?

Here's a 3-pane vertical layout that I use with the same colours and fonts:

03_1366x768_0081E5DD.pngCHS more colourful default?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:01 AM by IainB »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Tastes differ - I find the "Save.Me" screenshot to look pretty gaudy, and prefer applications to use the Windows system skin unless there's a very good reason to look different. Which there isn't, for 99% of the software out there :)
- carpe noctem

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:49 AM »
@Iainb
The only point/suggestion I wanted to make is to just have some default skin/style/colorset (or whatever) that adds somewhat more color to CHS.
see: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=26575.0
Yes, I know, one can go thru settings and stuff and add colors, etc., but that was not what I had in mind.

@f0dder: save.me was just an example. it has very limited possibilities to adjust colors. I think only - AFAIK only untag Area Effect.
but that's it.

=
SnagIt-03082016 144925.pngCHS more colourful default?   SnagIt-03082016 145011.pngCHS more colourful default?

=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:02 PM »
@Iainb
The only point/suggestion I wanted to make is to just have some default skin/style/colorset (or whatever) that adds somewhat more color to CHS.
see: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=26575.0
Yes, I know, one can go thru settings and stuff and add colors, etc., but that was not what I had in mind.
@f0dder: save.me was just an example. it has very limited possibilities to adjust colors. I think only - AFAIK only untag Area Effect.
but that's it.
Oh, I see. In addition to the colours used in the standard and example layouts already provided  - per Menu | Layouts - maybe @mouser could add/provide some more layouts with assorted colours/fonts/font sizes in them? Is that what you are suggesting?
As a long-time user of CHS I had become used to setting up my own layouts with assorted colours/fonts/font sizes in them. I do think that it's a bit tricky sometimes to get the right colours/fonts/font sizes, and I recall I had to do some of that by trial-and-error.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36 AM »
Yes, that is my idea. IF interested to do so ... mouser might add 1-2 'skin and color' presets. They should then be hardcoded into CHS and not depending on an .ini file that might be lost/accidentally deleted.
e.g. the
lightblue (RGB 192 255 255, HEX: #C0FFFF)
yellow (RGB 255 255 225, HEX:  #FFFFE1)
Green (RGB 192 255 192, HEX: #C0FFC0)
that you and I are using, that could be built into CHS

and maybe also a 2nd 'set'

all other colors are userdefined (.ini)

BTW I tried to add a color, settings->customs appearance->memo background: 'other colors' then entered e.g. 251 242 178 in the RGB boxes then clicked on [Add to Custom Colors]  button,  but  nothing happened.
tried a few times, it is not added.

Is that the same with you?

=
SnagIt-04082016 083357.pngCHS more colourful default?
=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 04:38 AM »
I don't see why adding a couple more standard layouts would necessarily need to be hard-coded. It's not as though you'd be fixing a problem to do that. Not even a "nice-to-have" tweak either. Therefore, it would seem like a waste of time to hard-code it.

On the colours thing, I have no difficulty selecting and making the colours stick, and with no messing about .
My version of CHS is 2016-05-13 v2.36.0 Beta.
OS is Win10-64 PRO.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 04:53 AM »
Hardcoded because whatever you mess up, it is easy to jump back to a style.
Just rename your .ini files to .bak
Then you will be happy to just be able to select layout->default skin and have it back.

Well anyway... it was a suggestion only.

=

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39 AM »
@dcwul62: Well, I am a bit of a minimalist, so I would usually tend to consider cosmetic changes as unnecessary. So I personally probably wouldn't ask a developer to carry out cosmetic changes. However, you never know. See what @mouser thinks about it. He might think it's a great idea!    :)

Do you have the same CHS version as mine, or is it an earlier version? If the latter, then get the latest (still the same as mine) and see if it fixes any colour selection problems that you might be experiencing.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Here's Dilbert's take:
Dilbert_on_color.png