topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: how should I roll back java?  (Read 14334 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how should I roll back java?
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Since the latest java update, my video is slightly screwy sometimes. How should I roll back to the last version? I see in Add or Remove Programs, three Java entries; Java 8 Update 101, 73, and 77. I have Windows XP. Tnx.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how should I roll back java?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:23 AM »
Hello there ^^

I don't know of any graphics driver that relies on Java, so unless you're talking about a Java based game (Minecraft?) I don't think the problem is related to that update, and I wouldn't advise rolling back Java due to security issues.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33 AM »
it is of course a good thing to remove old java leftovers. Use their own uninstaller:

>>Java Uninstall Tool<<

Should I uninstall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend that you uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the latest security and performance improvements on your system.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:50 PM »
I'm glad I asked. I show Java 8 Update 101, 73, and 77. Should I leave 101, and uninstall 73 and 77? Tnx.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:01 PM »
There is a (free) tool called: JavaRA  which is supposed to be able to cleanup Java installations on a Windows PC.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Revo Uninstaller??

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:51 AM »
There is a (free) tool called: JavaRA  which is supposed to be able to cleanup Java installations on a Windows PC.
I strongly second Shades' recommendation.  I was having a lot of problems with Java on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit computer, including old versions that supposedly had been uninstalled.  I finally used JavaRA, and it did a terrific job of cleaning things up.  I was then able to install the most recent Java version, which I hadn't been able to do until then.  That was months ago, and (knock on wood, salt over my shoulder), I've had no Java problems since then.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 07:30 PM »

I used it sometime in 2014.  I forget the exact issue but it must not have done any damage since I still have it on.  Worth a try for sure.   :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:35 AM »
The JavaRa crew now say that there's no longer a need for the software as the Oracle Java installer does a thorough job of removing older versions. On my own systems I have found this to be true.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:25 PM »
The JavaRa crew now say that there's no longer a need for the software as the Oracle Java installer does a thorough job of removing older versions. On my own systems I have found this to be true.
-cranioscopical (August 01, 2016, 08:35 AM)

+1.  I just updated today and the installer found both the 64 and 32 bit obsolete versions and removed them.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 05:49 AM »
You might try these uninstall instructions from JAVA.com       

Or download the Java uninstaller Here

Dave

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58 AM »
-cranioscopical (August 01, 2016, 08:35 AM)

+1.  I just updated today and the installer found both the 64 and 32 bit obsolete versions and removed them.
Tnx! Problem solved. :)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:19 PM »
My Gateway TA6 laptop died a month ago, and I'm finally up again with an old Celeron and Windows XP Home which I just upgraded with 2GB RAM.
McAfee antiV refuses to let me transfer their product; can anyone please recommend a good free antiV?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 01:13 AM »
Not sure which of the free AV's still support Windows XP.

BitDefender, Panda, Avira and Avast are the usual suspects when I fix computers for others.

ClamWin is the only open source AV I know and I would guess that it still supports XP. It doesn't come with real-time protection by default. There are 3rd party tools that make real-time protection possible with ClamWin, but usually at the cost of resources, something Celeron-based processors do not have much of. Not in desktop PCs and definitely not in laptops.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Tnx. I'm using an old desktop celeron; works good with 2gb ram.
The Avira link download failed to open; maybe because I'm using Windows XP. I'll try the oldapps version;
http://www.oldapps.c...hp?old_antivir=16155

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Install/dnld keeps saying 'entry point not found'.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22 PM »
http://www.oldapps.c...tivir=16155?download
-Download Avira Free Antivirus 15.0.9.504

-----------------

it is of course a good thing to remove old java leftovers. Use their own uninstaller:

>>https://java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp]Java Uninstall Tool[/url]<<

Should I uninstall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend that you uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the latest security and performance improvements on your system.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Tnx. I'm using an old desktop celeron; works good with 2gb ram.
The Avira link download failed to open; maybe because I'm using Windows XP. I'll try the oldapps version;
http://www.oldapps.c...hp?old_antivir=16155

Thing is that you shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security by getting an AV from oldapps.com. New apps aren't necessarily better than old ones, that is true. Anti-virus software is the exception to the rule. Don't expect to get the latest anti-virus signatures for older versions of AV software. Those signature files are the main reason AV software is able to detect viruses.

If that didn't happen yet with your AV software, it will. And when that happens, you essentially are running your computer without AV. Actually it is worse, you lose precious resources on checking files for old and/or obsolete viruses.

Run as much script and ad blockers as you are comfortable with ('ublock origin' and 'umatrix' recommended), get the best/aggressive firewall that still works with XP and use a lot of common sense when surfing. That will help you more in the long run than obsolete AV software ever will. A (real-time) malware scanner would be preferable too. Anti-malware software has the same problem as AV software under XP.

If you can expand your RAM to 4GByte, then Windows 7 will run quite smooth. Even with a Celeron. AV software support for Windows 7 is much better and will be around for quite some time. While Windows 7 will work adequately within 2GByte of RAM, a lack of CPU "horsepower" will make that experience painful. 

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28 AM »
nightmare time. purchased Norton antiV from amazon with 'no refund' option. norton says my win xp home 'incompatible' w/o service pack 3. i don't see where to check if i have service pack 3 or how to find and install it.

i have a fully functional win 7 pro 32bit on a good HD in a dead pc desktop. can i just pop it into this older desktop and get it to work?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51 AM »
There is no technical reason that prevents you from using your laptop's hard disk in your desktop.

However, it is more than likely that the Windows 7 from your dead laptop is an OEM licensed version. That means MS doesn't allow you to use that Windows 7 license key in your current desktop PC. There are many more restrictions on how you are allowed to use an OEM licensed version of Windows, but I won't bore you with that.

Besides this, the hardware inside the laptop and desktop PC is very different. In general, most Windows installations that are transferred from one PC to another try to install whatever they need to copy with the hardware changes automatically...which usually results in such a mess that you need to re-install from scratch.

Transferring a hard disk with a Windows installation on it between computers with identical hardware (and that includes similar devices being connected at similar PCI (express) lanes) most of the time does work. But it is still something you are not allowed to do with an OEM licensed version of Windows.

Retail versions of Windows are much more expensive than OEM versions, but those are allowed to be installed on any one(!) computer, such as a desktop or laptop.

You can find out which version of Windows you have by opening the Start menu and right-click on the 'My Computer' link inside that menu. A context menu should appear where you can select option 'Properties'. When you do that a window will open where you see the current Windows version (and service pack) near the top of this window.

Looks like you can still download XP Service Pack 3 from FileHippo. Maybe there is still a forgotten corner in the Microsoft website where you can download SP3 for XP still, but by the time you find it there, you will likely have downloaded it from Filehippo in the background.

If you do add the laptop hard disk in your desktop PC, you shouldn't have to worry. According to this Wikipedia page the core NTFS file system didn't change between XP and Windows 7. So you should be to access or write files on that hard disk without problems. 

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 06:54 AM »
Tnx, I already downloaded service pack3 from major geeks, then ran a 45-part and 83-part update series of updates without a hitch, then successfully installed my Norton antiV.
So the laptop EIDE HD connector should match the desktop cable?
I wonder if my 10/100 ethernet card could be replaced with a faster one from another dead newer desktop.
The mobo is a SiS-661GX, with a celeron 2.66GHz; could the cpu be upgraded?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I forget the name of that vid player that uses an orange and white road safety traffic cone for its icon?

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 08:35 AM »
I forget the name of that vid player that uses an orange and white road safety traffic cone for its icon?
VLC ?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 09:26 AM »
VLC
Yes! Tnx.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 06:18 PM »
SiS....that is more or less the "bottom of the barrel" brand for computer hardware. Looking for SiS-661GX, Google gives me this. So that is not the brand of your computer, it is the chipset. And that chipset is commonly used on motherboards with CPU socket 775. This is a very, very old type of processor (Pentium 4 class). I certainly hope that you didn't buy this computer, but that you got it as a present.

Now I know the brand of your motherboard and the CPU socket, I wouldn't upgrade your CPU even if you had that option as I expect the functional life of this computer to be (very) short. Especially with a SiS chipset. That would be a serious waste of money.

It is usually not a problem to buy a new network card and use that instead of the onboard one. 10/100 is more than enough for most use-cases for a internet connection at home. Getting a new faster network card just to connect to internet won't make a difference. That is, if the one you have still functions ok. New network cards hardly cost anything, You should be able to get a decent brand network card under 10 USD. Intel is the most stable/best brand and you are likely to get one of those on eBay or web store for that price.

I think we are getting a bit side-tracked here at this thread  :)