topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Starting a new hobby - An Open Source Experiment  (Read 2818 times)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Starting a new hobby - An Open Source Experiment
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:03 AM »
Greetnigs DC users,

I am going to do something I'm not aware of anyone else ever doing. I am putting everything I own online on an imageboard.

Let me explain:
I have just recently become unemployed due to some hardships, and it does not look like I will be gainfully employed for the forseeable future due to health issues.

There are a few drawbacks of being me, and they are
  • I collect everything and don't throw it away, I just hoard
  • I am very unorganized
  • I want to manage a website with an active userbase that combines all aspects of my life

Normally, I would have a hard time coming up with anything, but I decided to let my imagination run wild and give myself a fully funded budget.

There actually exists a somewhat simple solution to all my problems: An imageboard which hosts all my memories (images of things).

One of the reasons I don't throw things away is because I'll have a certain memory triggered whenever I come across it. Well if I have nice photographs of that object from multiple angles, tags related to that object, and maybe even a description of the item I wrote when I had it in my hands, what would I need that physical item for? I will literally be archiving and compressing memories into a digital trigger format.

Assuming I have all my objects, custom artwork, and posters in this database, I can quickly search "fred" and see everything related to "fred". Let's say Fred got me a cool present for my birthday, so I look it up... and then I see things related to fred which trigger other memories with fred and so on. Each time I want to fire up a memory I simply use the tags in the search engine to find and amplify any possible memories related to it.

Let's say I photograph my xbox, put it in storage, and months later find a spare controller. If I take an image of the controller and use the "x-box" tag, they will instantly be categorized together. And let's say I wrote a large X on the bucket I put the xbox in. An indicator of where in storage the xbox and related items are is in the tag information, so I can easily put things away or find them together in real life as well as online.

Or let's say I'm at a comic shop and don't know if I have a certain issue, I can look up by the series name, the publisher name, or even the issue number to see if I have it.

I will be able to show off entire collections in category form. I can show off my Pokemon collection or share the Pokemon_TCG tag to just show all my Pokemon cards.

I think this will be a fantastic and therapeutic way to deal with all my issues in one fell swoop.

Please leave any feedback below if you have any questions or concerns.

Oh yeah, obviously there will be tags that will not be public.

If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Starting a new hobby - An Open Source Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:28 AM »
I'm a hoarder, but life tends to impose limits, so I've also come around to the idea of photographing stuff and throwing it away. I rarely regret (not yet anyways) having thrown anything away. It's nice to have the image then -- as you say, it triggers memories.

So, you want to catalogue everything else as well :-)
I like the idea of cataloging things -- I got as far as cataloging cataloging software, but not much further :D

I'm curious -- how would that be done on a website? Note, while I know basic html, I'm no a coder, nor particularly knowledgeable here -- so I guess I'm looking for an overview.
(TIA)
Tom

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:33 AM »
I'm a hoarder, but life tends to impose limits, so I've also come around to the idea of photographing stuff and throwing it away. I rarely regret (not yet anyways) having thrown anything away. It's nice to have the image then -- as you say, it triggers memories.

So, you want to catalogue everything else as well :-)
I like the idea of cataloging things -- I got as far as cataloging cataloging software, but not much further :D

I'm curious -- how would that be done on a website? Note, while I know basic html, I'm no a coder, nor particularly knowledgeable here -- so I guess I'm looking for an overview.
(TIA)

Please check out this already-existing SFW image board here and search for a term you are interested in. From there, click on a picture you like to see more tag details. From there you can decide if you like the artist, series, or character, and see more images based on their respective categories. It's a nice system, tagging. I think it would do wonders to help organize my life, and might be interesting to give others a shot to not only see high resolution pictures of the object itself, but help tag it as well if they know anything about the object.
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:44 AM »
^ ahh, I see you posted about it elsewhere:

Forget everything I thought I wanted. Everyone's help was greatly appreciated, but I have made the decision that my website will be a custom build of the danbooru image board software.

helped getting an overview:
http://knowyourmeme....memes/sites/danbooru
Tom