topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Insync free for next half day or so (2016-05-18)  (Read 5657 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Insync free for next half day or so (2016-05-18)
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Insync is a client for accessing Google drive from your desktop.  They have Windows, Mac, and Linux clients.  You need to link your Google account to their account.

https://www.insynchq.com/free

See this reddit thread for some discussion about this offer:

https://www.reddit.c...ree_for_the_next_72/

Note/disclaimer: I have signed up for the free license, but haven't yet had an opportunity to try the product.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Insync free for next half day or so (2016-05-18)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Hmmm, it will not accept my MDC email hosted by google because the domain shows as mymdc.net.  Supposedly I have "unlimited storage" there.  It is a bit klunky doing drag and drop upload through chrome browser.  I would like to try it out but it seems to be a no go.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I don't know if this will be a workaround you can use, but I had a work related Google account that did not have GMail configured on it.  Insync would not allow that account to be used to activate an Insync account/license.

However, I was able to add GMail to that account, activate Insync on it, then remove GMail from that account.  This workaround was based on some posts in the reddit thread.  The reddit thread indicates that Insync will continue to work after GMail has been removed.  I haven't had an opportunity to test that; I'm not concerned if it ends up breaking Insync since I don't have a great need for the Insyc functionality on that account - it's just a nice-to-have.

Anyway, if you're able to add GMail to that account temporarily you might be good to go.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Anyway, if you're able to add GMail to that account temporarily you might be good to go.

Thanks for the tip.   :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up.
Out of interest I signed up 3 separate Gmail accounts for this FREE offer for the standard Insync Plus account "for consumers" (aren't we all?).
However, I am stuck trying to login to Insync with my Gmail account as a first-time user, having just installed Insync via the FREE offer (whilst the clock was still running).
The Win 10 Insync App downloaded, installed and seems to work OK, but the browser just hangs on login - in Firefox and IE - with the message "Connecting to Insync..."

Restarting the browser doesn't seem to help.
I posted a request for help to the Insync support team (there's a popup chat window on the browser sign-in page). but they are probably all tucked up in bed at present.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13 AM »
the browser just hangs on login - in Firefox and IE - with the message "Connecting to Insync..."

That happened on one of my machines.  You'll need to use the 'alternate login':

- https://forums.insyn...-is-not-working/3083

Note that once the software has been installed and activated, there doesn't seem to be a way to switch Google accounts for the consumer/plus edition.  To be able to take advantage of multiple accounts you need to upgrade to one of the editions that has an annual fee.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 05:27 PM »
FWIW I had that error yesterday, though this morning it went thru without a hitch :-\

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Well, following my email to them, I got a helpful reply from the Insync HelpDesk to the effect that "...check your account in the app? According to our end it is already active. It might have just timed out temporarily."
So I checked it again and sure enough it was working OK. Good support!    :Thmbsup:

However, after playing about with it for a while, I really couldn't see exactly what Insync did that Google Drive didn't. I thought I probably didn't understand it fully yet.
Then I discovered today that Insync has effectively defeated some Google Drive functionality - it has taken over control of the Google Drive folder on my client device (laptop), so that:
  • (a) Google Drive Sync can no longer function (OK, I thought, Insync has probably replaced that functionality with something better).
  • (b) I can now no longer access Google Drive directly from the client - e.g., right-clicking a file in the Google Drive folder on the client now does NOT allow you to get the sharing link for that file - that was a feature that I used quite a lot, and found it to be immensely useful.

Then, again today, using the SlimJet browser (a Chromium derivative that I have just started trialling), I looked at the Google Drive blurb at https://www.google.com/drive/#start , and saw all this new FREE functionality that Google have recently introduced into Drive whilst I was sleeping, some of it apparently best appreciated with Chrome/Chromium (surprise! NOT.), and I realised that all that new FREE functionality seems to have made Insync obsolete - i.e., there is apparently now nothing that Insync does which you can't do in Google Drive, BUT there are some things that you can do in Google drive that you can't do in Insync.
I could have been mistaken, I suppose, but even after hunting about in Insync, I really couldn't see why there would be any advantage in using it at all now. It seems to have been left behind, and as a differentiator it just seems to have a next-to-useless, cruddy little app-like interface on the client.
So I've uninstalled Insync and am in the process of reverting to using Google Drive on the client as I had done previously.

Maybe it was that dreadful reality of obsolescence that was behind Insync suddenly offering their software for free for "a limited time"? Remember their countdown clock? Same as BitsDuJour. (Introducing false scarcity and/or false time-pressure as motivators is an old, tried-and-tested sales con-trick. Like fear of potential loss - e.g., "It'll never be this cheap again!". Consumers would be wise to be cautious and avoid being induced into playing that game when they see such tricks being used.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:22 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »