topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 10, 2024, 1:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: control startup program times  (Read 7688 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
control startup program times
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:24 PM »
someone asked a while ago about being able to control startup times of apps.
just saw this via (http://startupguru.l...beach.com/sug_ss.asp):

http://startupguru.l...beach.com/sug_ss.asp

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: control startup program times
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:22 PM »
I use a command script and a command-line "sleep" utility to accomplish the same thing.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

tenseiken

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Boredom Solutions
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 11:55 PM »
I've got a batch file that runs at boot and prompts me for when and if I want to run my normal startup things.
-John

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:16 AM »
Here is the format for a startup command script I just came up with.  The idea is that it runs a countdown (of whatever length you specify), and shows you the numbers as it's counting down.  If you happen to be at the computer during startup, you can close the command window and prevent the startup applications from running.

The script relies on the NirSoft NirCmd utility.  I didn't bother commenting it, because it's so simple.  I guess it's worth pointing out a few things, though:

* All those blank lines are there on purpose; I just like to get the stuff that won't ever be changed out of my face.

* You can change "set Counter=30" to however long you want the countdown to be.  (Set it to something like 600 when you first set up the script, to give yourself time to change the properties of the command window.  It looks better if it's just big enough to fit the text.  :) )

* You can change any individual "nircmd wait 1000" line to alter the delay (if any) before a startup application runs.

* The double colons (i.e. "::") really do work to comment out a line.  I use it instead of "rem " because it's easier and looks better.

* You can use "nircmd execmd" in a command line if you will be launching a batch file.  It will run just the same as if you run it normally, but NirCmd (with the execmd parameter) causes the command window to be hidden.

* You can, of course, use START command parameters like "/min" (to start the window minimized), "/low" or "/high" (to alter priority), and so on.  Just one nice benefit of using the command interface.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 01:18 AM by Scott »