topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!  (Read 56224 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!
« on: April 27, 2016, 01:38 AM »
C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe  :(

Big Win 10 update yesterday, ("update", not "upgrade", I was already running Win 10), but now the terrible CompatTelRunner is starting with Windows, and it is using far too much CPU, from 0% up to 80%, and ever so slowing the use of Windows. After it has done its job, it will close until next Windows launch.

"ThomasJohnson-977" phrased my problem quite well:

>>Wondering what CompatTelRunner.exe is doing on my computer?<<

ThomasJohnson-977: >>I have upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows, and my disk is maxed out for 20 minutes on startup every time I start it. So I decided to dig in and found dozens of svchost.exe running, which slowly disappear and dozens of CompatTelRunner.exe start to run. All of them are open to random files throughout my pc. I almost can't even use my pc while this happening because to start something requires disk I/O and there is no bandwidth. Memory isn't full and CPU is 4% or less but I still can't do much during those 20 minutes. Resource Monitor shows the tasks are running in the background, but they are preventing me from doing anything in the "foreground". ANNOYING! When it's done' everything is working just fine.

When I did the upgrade, I said to NOT share anything with MS, except errors. So I don't know what it is doing. I thought at first maybe it's some sort of AV, but the name of this exe just doesn't jive with that. If this is about Windows 7 Compatibility, why is it still running after upgrading, and why on every boot up?<<

ZigZag3143 (Windows & Devices for IT Pro MS -MVP) replied on MVP Insider Community Moderator Wiki Author Completed Training MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist Launch expert - Windows 10 Most Recommended Discussion

>>That is the compatibility update for win 7 RTM.<<
https://support.micr...com/en-us/kb/2977759
-answers.microsoft.com

"compatibility update for win 7 RTM"? Hmm... maybe, maybe not.  :-\

I don't use "Metro" and I don't have any "apps" running, (only real programs...), so I have no use for this new old thing.

Any one else having problems with CompatTelRunner the first few minutes after Windows has started? 
Tips on how to get rid of it?
:tellme:

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:39 AM »
Hi there .o/

Not sure if that is applicable as I don't have any Windows 10 machine available to test, but under some machines running Windows 7, I've noticed there are scheduled tasks (in taskschd.msc) that seem related to that stuff, under « Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience » and under « Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement program ».
Try disabling those tasks and rebooting?
I'd also disable the "diagnostics tracking service" aka diagtrack service if it exists.

Blackbird Dev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Get Blackbird
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Hi Curt,

I don't wanna sound like a promo-tool but our software unintentionally resolves issues with CompatTelRunner.exe.
A user in this thread > (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34026421) apparently had similar problems.
When I say "unintentionally" I mean that the software we provide targets telemetry as a whole, so keep that in mind.

You can check us out at http://www.getblackbird.net

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Thank you, Blackbird Dev,  :up:  it's a wonderfully useful, little (<½MB) program, you have there!
--------------
post after-edited:

It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole. Sorry!
--------------

Run once:

Blackbird V6 (version 0.9) http://getblackbird.net [email protected]

==WHAT BLACKBIRD DOES==

> Disables OneDrive
> Disables Cortana
> Disables Bing-integration
> Disables Wi-Fi Sense
> Disables Windows/Office Telemetry on all Windows versions

> Disables Xbox Live services
> Disables web content evaluation / URL check-in ("SmartScreen")
> Disables Windows Media Online DRM
> Disables Windows P2P Update sharing
> Disables all application metric-data collection agents

> Disables all AutoLoggers
> Disables Start menu ads
> Disables Windows Error Reporting
> Disables Diagnostic Tracking / "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" service
> Disables WAP-push Message Routing service

> Prevents all location/contacts/handwritting/password sharing
> Prevents cross-device synchronization
> Prevents device meta-data collection
> Patches various data-leaks (IE/EDGE/Defender/Explorer/MRT)
> Removes Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

> Removes your unique Ad-ID tracking token and disables further Windows advertising profiling
> Removes GWX and all Windows 10 Upgrade triggers, icons, messages and other nagging
> Removes Windows 10 Upgrade setup files on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1
> Removes a bunch of Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 telemetry updates
> Blocks 130+ different tracking/telemetry/ad servers (supports IPv6/IPv4, Wifi/Eth)

> bonus (some) Youtube, Skype, Facebook ads blocked

==USING BLACKBIRD==

> Double-click blackbird.exe, > Click Yes if prompted by UAC, > Blackbird will perform a quick security scan (green means good - red means bad), > Press Enter to apply, > Get some coffee (optional), > Reboot the computer when it's finished. All done.
-Blackbird readme
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:25 AM by Curt, Reason: errors »

Blackbird Dev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Get Blackbird
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Thank you, Blackbird Dev,  :up:  it's a wonderfully useful, little (<½MB) program, you have there!
--------------
post after-edited:

It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole. Sorry!
--------------

Hopefully we'll fix the issues you are experiencing. Auch, though
Continued in thread Anyone using Blackbird?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Hopefully we'll fix the issues you are experiencing.
-Blackbird Dev (April 30, 2016, 04:26 PM)

^  yes, hopefully.

Solving the case was made difficult because of Windows' huge update, making me not know who the sinner was. So far it *seems* it was QTTabbar, but I won't know for sure just yet. However, I think it's safe to say, Blackbird was not to blame.

-----------
after-edit:

Finally I have found the culprit. (...); ALL the problems went away when I replaced Outpost 9.2 with Outpost 9.3 from April 28'th.
Problem solved. Blackbird is okay   :up:  and so is Outpost 9.3
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:01 PM by Curt »

harrison3001

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Found a couple of solutions, via permissions (on page 2), and via Group Policy Editor, please refer to this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/disabling-windows-compatability-telemetry/f1437548-84ae-4421-9a07-45feb17cab86?page=3

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 03:03 AM »
^ thank you, harrison3001 - and Welcome here!  :up:

Found a couple of solutions, via permissions (on page 2), and via Group Policy Editor, please refer to this link: http://answers.micro...-45feb17cab86?page=3
To disable Windows Compatibility Telemetry, kindly follow these steps:

On the search box, type services and press Enter to open the Services desktop app.
    Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service and change the Startup Type to Disabled.

(click pic, to enlarge)
05bae9ba%2d8970%2d4244%2d9610%2daceacce90920.jpgWin 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!

Additionally, you can use PowerShell to stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service and change the Startup Type to disabled. To do so, open PowerShell and run these commands:

stop-service diagtrack
set-service diagtrack -startuptype disabled
-windows forum

kaushalmalkan11

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Prevent CompatTelTunner.exe From Running In Windows

   Press the Windows key and then search for Task Scheduler.
   Open Task Scheduler.
   Navigate to the following address below:
   Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
   There would be three tasks on the list. You need to choose “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser”, right-click on it and select the “Disable” option.
   Reboot your Windows computer and see if you are having High CPU issue or not.

I hope this solves your issue. You can read more about other methods if this one doesn't work for you. This answer from Microsoft might be handy as well.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08 AM »
^ thank you, young man (18! I'm green from envy), and welcome here at DC!

The TelRunner problem was solved back then, 1½ year ago, using Blackbird. Blackbird is apparently not updated any more, but it was really fine.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:53 AM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Windows 7 machine:
I accidentally applied all windows updates around the end of May. Since then having troubles sometime after startup -- a total sieze-up of the system -- unable to do anything for a while -- maybe ten minutes, maybe twenty :-/
When the system recovers, anything you attempted to do in the 'freeze-time' gets done, and fast: at this stage today, the taskmanager (Process Explorer actually) got opened and I saw a flash of compattelrunner highlighted in red before it disappeared.

Did the following:
To disable Windows Compatibility Telemetry, kindly follow these steps:

On the search box, type services and press Enter to open the Services desktop app.
    Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service and change the Startup Type to Disabled.
also uninstalled KB2952664 "Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7" as suggested in Superuser:
https://superuser.co...-boot-for-20-minutes

System is fine on reboot: will report if there's any other problems.

This all happened in the wake of replacing a harddrive which was also causing the system to sieze up (I'm even wondering now was the HDD really on the way out: but I think so). All of which made me suspect the new HDD rather than look for other possibilities...
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Less complex than removing it and as a possible alternative workaround, you could do worse than consider using ProcessTamer to Force Kill it.
It's path is usually: C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 09:59 AM »
[to remove the compattelrunner problem I]
also uninstalled KB2952664 "Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7"
Went to windows update shortly afterwards and guess what's on offer:
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)
Download size: 6.4 MB
Update type: Important
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664
now hidden FWIW
Tom