topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using F11 key to spell check active text box  (Read 7182 times)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Using F11 key to spell check active text box
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:01 AM »
This is a feature request to add SpellCheckAnywhere functionality to Clipboard Help+Spell, see http://www.spellcheckanywhere.com.  Basically, you press the F11 key to spell check the text box your curser is in.

Currently, with Clipboard Help+Spell, I have to [1] Select All (Ctrl-A), [2] Capture/View/Spell (Ctrl+Alt+V hotkey), [3] select each underscored word to correct, then [4] copy clip back to the last active window.  If I can do all that by just pressing the F11 key, that would be great.  Also, there's no need to actually involve the clipboard itself in this operation; if it's contents can be preserved, that would be preferred.  However, it would be nice to save the text box contents (being spell checked) into a new buffer within Clipboard Help+Spell so the original uncorrected version is temporarily preserved.

SpellCheckAnywhere is selling for $30, so if Clipboard Help+Spell could function like this, it should get quite popular.  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:23 PM by superticker »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using F11 key to spell check active text box
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I'll give a 2nd vote for this! There are other "spell check here" utils, but since I use Clipboard Help+Spell already and it already has spell check ability, it seems to make sense.

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 04:20 PM »
actually i already started working on this - if you check in hotkey options you will see hotkey configuration for Spell Windows Object.  It works on some programs but not all - i will keep working on it if its something people want.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Yes, yes! :D

- Oshyan

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 01:50 PM »
... If you check in hotkey options you will see hotkey configuration for Spell Windows Object.  It works on some programs but not all - i will keep working on it if its something people want.
I've tried it with Firefox 1.5.0.4 text boxes (while blogging), and it doesn't work.  If you can fix this, that would be super.

Yes, Firefox 2.0beta has spell checking, but (1) I'm stuck with FF 1.5 until all my FF extensions are updated, and (2) I would prefer using a single spelling dictionary for all my spelling needs.  Why create, augment, and maintain several separate dictionaries?

Also, if you get this spell-object function to work well, you could better promote it, and that would make Clipboard Help+Spell as popular as the commerical spell checkers.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Spell checking should really be a system-level DirectX-like type of thing. It seems like a lot of things should be this way, add-on system functionality providers like DirectX.

Here are the 3 big ones I've always wanted:

Speech functionality - reading dialog boxes, etc., not recognition, although that would be really nice too
Natural language processing - I have some nifty ideas about how this would work, but it would *only* work as an API and developers would have to support it
Spell checking - provide the ability to spell check any text anywhere in the OS with any chosen dictionary, all dictionaries maintained in a central location

So how about it MS? Where's the real innovation in Vista? :P

- Oshyan