topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request - stay on top option  (Read 5307 times)

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request - stay on top option
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I'd like an option to keep CHS on top of any open window. This would be helpful when entering a software key into separated fields where you can't just paste the whole key. With CHS on top I could just type in the code as I read it.
-- Arthur

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request - stay on top option
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:58 AM »
You could try Topmost Toggle from my page

Control right click the mouse to toggle the Topmost attribute.  It works with most any window.

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Running Windows 10, I've tried Topmost Toggle and it works for the programs I've tested except for Clipboard Help and Spell. I guess the window that opens when I click on the CHS icon in my system tray behaves differently from other windows.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Running Windows 10, I've tried Topmost Toggle and it works for the programs I've tested except for Clipboard Help and Spell. I guess the window that opens when I click on the CHS icon in my system tray behaves differently from other windows.

Does it show anything when you control right click the window?  Did you try running it As Administrator?  I don't know why it would not work as only the desktop,tray and a special control group window class are excluded.  In any case there are a bunch of free utilities that set topmost on the download sites.  This link may be a good start:
http://www.techsuppo...ting-top-windows.htm

Edit:  I also found this one on sourceforge.  I do not know how well it works but it seems like a simple implementation.  It may be worth a try:

http://sourceforge.n...op/?source=directory
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:41 PM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:07 PM »
I will add the option if i can.

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Thanks, Mouser. It's the quick paste menu window that won't stay on top -- the window that opens when I click on the CHS icon in the system tray. I just downloaded Deskpins, another program that keeps windows on top, and it doesn't work with CHS either.
-- Arthur

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:04 PM »
Ok so you're not really looking for a traditional stay-on-top feature, as what you are talking about is a pop-up menu, never meant to stay on screen..

What you seem to be asking for is something that would be mostly functionally equivelant, and that HAS been asked for in the past, a kind of tiny window with recent (quick paste) items that you can (double) click to paste into last active window.

I note that the main window will do exactly what you want (and has a stay-on-top option in view menu), it's just that it's a bit big to keep on screen at all times, correct?

Arthur Menu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Right, the main menu takes up a fair chunk of horizontal screen space and displaying the last clip on it requires a few more mouse clicks. What would be ideal would be if I could open the pop-up so that would stay on top by clicking the CHS icon with another key pressed (CTRL?). Or maybe there could be a hot key that would open it to stay on top. Once it opened with the special key combination it would stay open and on top until I pressed the ESC key.