topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Feature Request - Keep download count, remove file  (Read 9735 times)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings once again folks,

I've recently posted some software I'm continuing and have already had bug reports and feature enhancements flood in to make the program better than it was before. However, I notice people are still downloading older uploaded versions of my program that I upload here. My request is to be able to remove the file but keep the file name and download count in the attachments just to see a total of how many people have downloaded the program in all. I always think it's nice to see an accumulative view of how many people are actually using your program, and if I delete every older version I lose those statistics. Perhaps a feature to delete the file from the server and just strikeout the text which use to be the url to download it, and remove the hyperlink of course.

Please let me know if this might be something useful for users of the forum. Thanks!
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:09 AM by Asudem »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request - Keep download count, remove file
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:53 AM »
I always think it's nice to see an accumulative view of how many people are actually using your program, and if I delete every older version I lose those statistics. Perhaps a feature to delete the file from the server and just strikeout the text which use to be the url to download it, and remove the hyperlink of course.

If you want to remove the download, but keep the number if times it was downloaded. Why not just turn the link into a string of plain text. The DL number wouldn't need to be held/tracked by the system as it would just be a static number so you could do something like this:

Live Link v1.30 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.20 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.10 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.00 downloaded xxx times

Then you have a version popularity history at a glance that doesn't require any moving parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I work in technology yet really like low tech solutions. :D

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request - Keep download count, remove file
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08 AM »
If you want to remove the download, but keep the number if times it was downloaded. Why not just turn the link into a string of plain text. The DL number wouldn't need to be held/tracked by the system as it would just be a static number so you could do something like this:

Live Link v1.30 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.20 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.10 downloaded xxx times
Text Old v1.00 downloaded xxx times

Then you have a version popularity history at a glance that doesn't require any moving parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I work in technology yet really like low tech solutions. :D
Oh no, I completely agree, this is is the "common sense" solution I couldn't see sitting in front of me because I was just thinking too hard :P

The only thing is, and it's more of a minor inconvenience than a real problem, if I upload a new version of the program, I have to modify my post, attach the program, post it, copy the newly generated link, modify the post again, then include the hyperlink to the new version.

Thanks for the solution!
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [RESOLVED] Feature Request - Keep download count, remove file
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27 AM »
I was just about to post how this would be a nice feature but how hard it would be to fix it..
That elegant solution never occurred to me either!! Sometimes simpler is better.
Very nice idea, Stoic.  :up: