topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Please tell us: will you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007?

Yes
Yes, probably, but not in the next 12 months
No
Not sure yet
I'm feeling lucky ;)

Last post Author Topic: Will you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007?  (Read 21176 times)

Rockforce

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Will you upgrade to Microsoft Office 2007?
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I'm BETA testing 2K7.the interface could move a little faster but its a great experience to not have to sort through all the options menus.Coupled with Vista Beta and the new msn messenger that looks very Vista Esque the system looks pretty.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 02:29 AM »
If nothing else, you have to admit that the new MS Office interface is a bold move on Microsoft's part. I could be wrong, but user share is set for the future between MS Office and OpenOffice, and now that Office 2007 will write to OpenDocument format (.ODF), it makes sense that the two should play well together.

Why? Because just as Microsoft will never kill Linux, OpenOffice is here to stay.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Interesting article about 2007 OEM and Home/Student packages ...

http://www.desktoppipeline.com/190302439

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05 AM »
That's good news, meaning the price will probably be about $99 in US discount stores.

Plasma Man

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 11:04 PM »
As for alternatives, I've been testing Ability Office [ AO ] http://www.ability.com/v4/newv4.php?ln=en for a design firm here who are fed up with all the MS licensing hanky panky and are keen to unhook themselves from the evil clutches of "Them" asap - innovations or no innovations.

But there are risks - many of their clients & consultants are sure to upgrade to MS 2007 to stay in the race. But if we can settle on something that covers the essentials for general business and is reliable then we're more than halfway there. One key issue is and will be compatibility of formatting, templates etc - especilly for docs and reports that use an extended range of circus tricks. This is where MS more or less decides on the rules of the game.

I was a little skeptical about AO given the sometimes disasterous performance of earlier versions, but thus far the latest release looks very solid, each component looks well thought out and it's very pleasant to use. The Pro version comes in at US $ 74.99 - so no complaints there. It certainly loads a lot faster than OO (actually 5 times faster). As much I love OO, AO seems to have a much more efficent engine which is handy if you want to make use of an older computer for WP, accounts or basic DTP work.

Andre

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 12:30 AM »
I'm really pleased that MS is finally going to allow customers to purchase a key. I know it's a small point, but it has always annoyed the H*E*double hockey sticks out of me that one has to uninstall a trial, go to a store in person or on-line and purchase a boxed version of the same software, install it and activate it. It *looks* like I'll be able to order a key over the 'phone and probably on-line for instant delivery. That, added to Zaine's point about the price likely dropping (though as I need Access the price is unlikely to be that low for me), is "Sweet".