topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Simple donut chart software?  (Read 5051 times)

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Simple donut chart software?
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:16 AM »
Years ago, I owned a very simple to use free Windows program that allowed me to create Donut charts quickly and easily. But that was several computers ago, and I can't find any software that creates these charts easily and is either free or very inexpensive.

Do any of you know such a program?

Thanks.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple donut chart software?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:19 AM »
Libre Office is a free office suite, and it contains a spreadsheet application (think of Excel). You can create any kind of charts with it, including donut ones, granted it is a full-fledged suite, rather than a tiny tool.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:38 PM »
There's an online app called Plotly that might be able to do what you want.  I think you can create one "private" chart for free, but there's a monthly fee if you want to make "public" charts or more private charts.  It does let you export charts in a variety of graphic formats, and you can export the data in a csv format.

I was able to make a "donut" chart by making a pie chart and using one of the "Trace" options to put a hole in it. :)
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:32 AM »
https://www.google.c...earch?q=Donut+charts

Free for Non-commercial: http://www.highchart.../products/highcharts (written in JavaScript) >>Compatible: It works in all modern mobile and desktop browsers including the iPhone/iPad and Internet Explorer from version 6. On iOS and Android, multitouch support provides a seamless user experience. Standard browsers use SVG for the graphics rendering. In legacy Internet Explorer graphics are drawn using VML.<<

Free, but GitHub: https://morrisjs.git...orris.js/donuts.html "good-looking charts shouldn't be difficult"

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07 PM »
I appreciate your replies, but what I'm looking for is a desktop, not online, Windows program that is small and  easy to use.

Any one out there know of one?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 05:09 AM »
I believe Graphs Made Easy [GME] is The Only freeware app on the market, of this kind. You must however be both concentrated and vigilante during the installation, or you will get unwanted programs as well. GME is said to be very easy, if you know the data to give it. I have it installed at the moment, but it is so boring to look at, I have to remove it, or it will make me fall asleep...

04.gif

However, they seriously claim that this chart was created with GME:

6084142_orig.pngSimple donut chart software?
http://www.graphsmadeeasy.com/faqs.html Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can GME import/export data from other applications, such as Microsoft Excel ® ?
A. GME imports data from data-grid style programs, including MS  Excel ®,  by means of copying the data of selected cells to the Windows ®  clipboard. GME does not currently export data, though future versions may do.   

Q. Is commercial or corporate use of GME permitted, or is a licence required?
A. GME is freeware, and can be used freely in all scenarios.

Q. Can GME generate logarithmic graphs (e.g. a graph with a Y-axis that has equidistant spaces that read 10, 100, 1000 etc.)?
A. No.

Q. Can GME import data in to an existing GME graph to combine data?
A. No, but a solution could be to combine the source data in your spreadsheet program, and then import the combined data in to GME.

Q. Does GME run on Apple Mac or Linux operating systems?
A. No. GME runs only on Windows (XP or higher).
-FAQ

01.gif
02.gif
03.gif

http://www.graphsmadeeasy.com/

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 07:44 AM »
You must however be both concentrated and vigilante during the installation, or you will get unwanted programs as well.
I guess that's why they say an Internet connection is required for installation.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast