topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screen Rotation  (Read 4556 times)

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screen Rotation
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Since upgrading to Windows 10 on my Dell laptop, SC will not show the capture in the fine detail rotation dialog. Once I select the fine rotation detail, the capture disappears. If I cancel the fine rotation dialog, the capture re-appears. Strange. I tried to capture the behaviour in the attachment. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screen Rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:10 PM »
you've found a bug.

i'm not sure when it happened but i must have done something in a recent release of SC that broke the fine rotation function.

i will fix!

ps. for anyone who is wondering what this mysterious "fine rotation" function is -- it's a function you would use only when you are using SC to capture from your scanner -- it helps you straighten your scans.

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16 AM »
 :) And it works GREAT too! Seems like everything I scan is slightly crooked and this tool in the interface helps me out immensely.  :up:

Thanks Mouser!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:26 AM »
i'll get it fixed before the end of the weekend -- nice to know someone finds that feature useful!
it's actually always nice to hear someone likes the scanner support in screenshot captor.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:36 AM »
@mouser: Many thanks for this info!
I'm glad @dvally mentioned this bug as I had been unaware that SC had "fine rotation" of images. I shall use that now I know it's there! I would otherwise normally have used the fine rotation of images feature in Picasa.

I regard images containing text as being data, and for straightening up images containing text and extracting the data, I would normally use a different approach:
  • ScanTailor: I use this on book/document scans (after reading about it elsewhere in DCF). ST is great for straightening/levelling up text and then OCR scanning it. For example, ST automatically splits up pages of two-page images of a book, straightens them, cleans up any dirt or image noise and then feeds it into an OCR scan. It does a superb job - perfect, in fact. Very good for minimising OCR scanning errors.

• OfficeLens: (A free smartphone app from Microsoft, for Android and Windows OS.) I have been trialling it in a Nokia Lumia 830 for capturing text from images of documents on a desk, images of whiteboards, images of business cards, and any other images containing text (e.g., advertising text on the sides of a panel van). You feed the image (as captured by the smartphone camera), into the app., which then automatically tidies it up and removes any slanting perspective. The image doesn't have to be taken square-on or anything, as the app figures it out, squares it up and also removes glare on the object (e.g., whiteboard reflection). The app can then save the tidied-up image to MS Office OneNote, which collects and indexes any text (captured by OCR) in the image. In the case of business cards, the app cuts out anything which is beyond the edges of the card, squares it up and passes it to OneNote with an associated panel of OCRed data that is extracted from the card and which is logically slotted into fields - e.g., "email" if it is an email address, or "phone" if it is a phone number, "address" if it is an address, etc. It's pretty smart (or maybe OneNote does those smart bits as post-processing, I don't know).

The reason I mention these things here is that it is an opportunity to urge consideration as to how SC (and CHS) might be able to be configured to (say) automatically and intelligently identify any text in an image and maybe then pass it to something like ScanTailor or OneNote for OCR post-processing. I think that could be a simpler and more doable approach than re-inventing the wheel and trying to build that same post-processing functionality into SC or CHS.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Should be fixed in latest unofficial beta if you want to try it early:
Download beta version (4.14.1 BETA) from here (or portable).

An official update will be out soon.

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58 PM »
 :) Thank you Mouser! The 4.14 beta fixes the issue! WooHooo!  :)

Perfecto...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Glad to hear it  :Thmbsup: