topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: delayed screenshot and context menus  (Read 5245 times)

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
delayed screenshot and context menus
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:26 PM »
I used to be able to set a delay, hit PrtScr, go to another application (eg file explorer) and right click to bring up a context menu, and when the screen shot was 'snapped' it would capture the context menu. 

Now when the screen shot capture kicks in (after the delay) the context menu is 'disappeared' before the screenshot is 'snapped'

This is the main reason I have this program (screen shots of context menus), most of the time the screen capture built into Windows is adequate

Windows 10, Screenshot Captor v4.12.0

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: delayed screenshot and context menus
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Can you elaborate a little bit -- so you are performing a standard full screen Screenshot with PrtScr button, using Screenshot Captor -- and there is a delay before EVERY capture? How long is the delay?

It almost sounds like you are doing an ACTIVE WINDOW capture -- which can trigger some behaviors that might cause the behavior you describe. Try the new 4.13 BETA version downloadable here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3474.0

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:18 AM »
Thank's Mouser - I am attaching an example of what I've been able to do in the past - the important thing is that it shows a context menu from the Evernote program.

Up to now to capture context menus I have had to do a delayed screen capture - that 'technique' no longer works

I'm not 'wed' to doing a delayed capture  :)  But that was what worked for me back in 2012 when I obtained SC, but its its stopped working now, I am not sure when.

I find it 'difficult' to believe, given its vast number of options, that SC doesn't have a simple means to capture a screen that includes any context menus currently displayed.

Cheers

get note link.jpgdelayed screenshot and context menus

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:28 AM »
There is no reason that capturing a screenshot should close the context menu, as long as you are triggering the capture with the standard PrtScr hotkey and not doing an active window capture.

There should be no need to use a delay.  You should be able to bring up context menu, hit PrtScr, and be done.
It sounds like you were using a delayed capture to trigger the capture, then bring up the context menu, and then have it capture -- which should still work -- but there is really no reason to go to such trouble, you should be able to simply hit PrtScr to capture once the context menu is showing.

Now if you are triggering the capture with the toolbar/tray menu/Alt key modifier, that can create issues.

Is it possible that Evernote is somehow interfereing? Is Evernote taking over the PrtScr button?  Does the right-click context menu capture in OTHER programs using SC?

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:52 AM »
Its not Evernote specific, that was just a screen shot I posted on a Mobileread forum months ago that I was able to grab.

But some progress

I was able to get shots of context menu's in File Explorer, Evernote, xplorer2, 1by1, Irfan View, without using a delay

I cannot get screen shots of context menus in Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 with or without a delay.  But that doesn't bother me as I've never had any need to do it.

I've discovered that the problem is limited to two applications - calibre book manager, and the sigil epub editor.  The common link between those two applications is that they both use the Qt5 framework.  I think a recent change in SC has triggered something that makes Qt dismiss the context menu, I say this because the version of Sigil I'm using was built back in April.  Qt5 is a fiddelsome thing that often throws up weird incompatibilities .

I'll try the beta version - mean time is there somewhere I can get older versions of SC for testing with calibre and sigil.

Cheers RP

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 05:04 AM »
:Thmbsup: bloody hell Mouser, you must have seen me coming.  The context menu's are captured in Calibre and Sigil using the 4.13.1 BETA version.

The cheque's in the mail  :-[

RP

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:21 AM »
Great, glad to hear it worked out :Thmbsup:

(so it sounds like maybe you were performing an "active window" capture rather than a full-screen capture -- that's one of the things the beta fixed on windows 10.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:47 AM by mouser »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:27 PM »
This is an interesting thread. For a long time I have had similar difficulties with SC in capturing transient objects such as pop-up or drop-down menus from some applications, so tend to now always first try to do the captures of these using the MS Office OneNote STOT (Send to OneNote Tool).
STOT "freezes" the whole screen - including any transients objects - so you can take your time and do a clip of whichever part of the screen you select. Though the clips are not necessarily as professional-looking as SC's active window captures, it works and is fast, with the clips going to Clipboard and to a page in a default OneNote Notebook.

However, if I want to do any image manipulation, I import the image from Clipboard into SC, because the OneNote capability for image manipulation is rubbish by comparison.

If the transient objects limitation in SC has been overcome - which seems to be the case(?) - then that's very good news. Shall check it out.

RightPaddock

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46 PM »
@IainB - thanks for the Send to OneNote tip (never knew it was there), sometimes I want to OCR a pop up, also good to have a backstop for SC

RP

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:14 AM »
@IainB - thanks for the Send to OneNote tip (never knew it was there), sometimes I want to OCR a pop up, also good to have a backstop for SC
RP

Be aware that there seems to be an undefined threshold in the number of words in an image, below which ON will not OCR scan the text:
2. OneNote OCR threshold text: I have noticed that OneNote will not OCR scan and index text in any image on a page where the amount of text is below some undefined threshold.
For example, yesterday, I clipped the image of a subtitle on a video where the text in the image was:
"ice age is creeping over the northern hemisphere even then it won't be as bad" (i.e., 15 words).
I then got OneNote to select the text from the image , and OneNote reported a longish error message that began:
    This image does not contain any recognised text. ...

ABBYY Screenshot Reader (was $FREE) is probably the best bet for OCR capture of text in images with few words in - seems to work every time. It is also unique in that it can capture columnar text and maintains the text in columnar position in the output. Pretty nifty.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:23 AM by IainB »