topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GOG Scores Bethesda!  (Read 6011 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GOG Scores Bethesda!
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:20 AM »
BETHESDA (SOFT)WORKS ITS WAY TO GOG.COM

BETHESDA CLASSICS NOW DRM-FREE - BUY ANY BETHESDA GAME, GET THE ELDER SCROLLS: ARENA & DAGGERFALL FOR FREE

I think we're seeing a contender in GOG's moves as of late.

Fallout is back on GOG also with this announcement.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GOG Scores Bethesda!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:33 PM »
No Oblivion or Skyrim? :(

Still pretty cool. But I thought I had purchased the Fallout Trilogy on GOG before, but it says I don't own them.

Huh. I just checked and they are in my GOG library. But GOG still says I don't own them on the store page.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 12:41 PM »
No Oblivion or Skyrim? :(

Still pretty cool. But I thought I had purchased the Fallout Trilogy on GOG before, but it says I don't own them.

Huh. I just checked and they are in my GOG library. But GOG still says I don't own them on the store page.

That's the latest incident that you can see on the thread.  I was confused too.

Basically, the one from before was by Interplay.  These are by Bethesda.  They're the same, but the new one is apparently enhanced.

There was some concern that they had taken the extras off of the classics- but they apparently moved them to a different menu.

http://www.gog.com/f...series_72e26/post121

DukeNukemForever: I would highly recommend that gog would add some more informations about the differences between Bethesdas re-releases and Interplay classic releases. So far I know the re-release has some mods added, like the Baldur's Gate remakes. Multilingual isn't also new, as the Interplay releases on Dotemu wee also multilingual. That's not a Bethesda excluse, only gogs late move to multilingual support. Also multiplatform support seems to be gone, but that's also no surprise, as GOG did back them for Interplay (first dosbox, later wine versions).

So yeah, some officieal explanations what's new would be very nice.

Edit: Another thing, thread title is talking about Fallout classics while the versions are not the new labelled classics from Interplay. So yeah, kind of confusing. So, are these versions the Bethesdas updated and modded versions like on steam, or are these just the old Interplay versions just new branded?

The only difference between the Classic editions and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. ;)
To answer another question - will we ever have them included in the Bethesda versions? We will do everything in our power, of course, but I can't say for certain that we will.

And apparently the free games are a permanent deal.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Basically, the one from before was by Interplay.  These are by Bethesda.  They're the same, but the new one is apparently enhanced.

I understand it to mean the opposite of what you said. I think it means the older ones have more content/features. Here's some added emphasis in the original quote to highlight my interpretation:

The only difference between the Classic editions [from Interplay] and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions [from Interplay] (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. ;)

And apparently the free games are a permanent deal.

Elder Scrolls 1 & 2 have been available for free from Bethesda for years now:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/
http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Yes, I got it backwards.  My mind knew what I was saying, but my fingers didn't.

And yes, of course you are correct- but having them consolidated into a platform is a good thing... at least for me.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Elder Scrolls 1 & 2 have been available for free from Bethesda for years now:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/
http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

And yes, of course you are correct- but having them consolidated into a platform is a good thing... at least for me.

Another potential benefit to the free Elder Scrolls games: Supposedly the GOG version is the CD version which has some differences from the Floppy disk version, which is what is free on the Elder Scrolls site.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Humble Bundle has a pretty nice "pay what you want" offer going on Tom Clancy titles for the next 5 or so days.

Might be worth a look if it's the sort of game you like. Link here.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Humble Bundle has a pretty nice "pay what you want" offer going on Tom Clancy titles for the next 5 or so days.

Might be worth a look if it's the sort of game you like. Link here.

Erm... Does this have anything to do with GOG or Bethesda? I'm not seeing the connection. It's a cool deal and all. I'm just wondering why it got posted here.

I bet mouser would like this. :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Erm... Does this have anything to do with GOG or Bethesda?

Well, Humble's not GOG, and Ubisoft isn't Bethesda.  And you know what they say about double negatives.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Erm... Does this have anything to do with GOG or Bethesda?

Well, Humble's not GOG, and Ubisoft isn't Bethesda.  And you know what they say about double negatives.

Ok... that's just wrong  ;D :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 01:25 AM »
And you know what they say about double negatives.

Something about two rights not making a left? :P