topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GDI & USER Handle leaks in v4.12.0 on WinXP 32 bit  (Read 4848 times)

TurboJosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Die hard Win32 fan - favorite OS are Win2K & WinXP
    • View Profile
    • PowerTunePlus
    • Donate to Member
GDI & USER Handle leaks in v4.12.0 on WinXP 32 bit
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:44 PM »
I run ScreenshotCaptor always and typically have workstation uptime of 2-8 weeks on Windows XP 32 bit between reboots. Today I noticed my ScreenshotCaptor.exe USER Handles were up to 1114 and GDI at 764. This seems rather high, like there's a leak happening over time. I've probably taken 20 screenshots in the past 2 weeks.

Side note: I used open source "Process Hacker 2" (a high tech clone of Process Explorer) to view my Handle usage, which I have to monitor because I run out of desktop heap and other evidently limited resources, ultimately causing my desktop to crash. (I've increased my Desktop Heap to 12228 and that greatly helps but ultimately I still exhaust it because I typically open so many things simultaneously.)

Is there anything I can do to help track down and solve this handle leak? NirSoft has GDIView which if you leave running, shows counters of each app's GDI handle usage as it increases/decreases with time. But I'm not really an expert on what the different types mean.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:47 PM by TurboJosh, Reason: added screenshot »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GDI & USER Handle leaks in v4.12.0 on WinXP 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Pleas excuse my delay in replying -- I'm out of town until the 26th and have been working furiously on a major update to the DonationCoder forum/website so I've fallen a bit behind in replying to posts about my software.  I will try to remedy that when I get back in town.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: GDI & USER Handle leaks in v4.12.0 on WinXP 32 bit
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I apologize it took me so long to take this report more seriously.

I have uploaded a beta with a fix here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=43771.0