topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: desktop search guide page  (Read 13400 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
desktop search guide page
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:45 PM »
These reviews look pretty thin to me, but better than nothing and maybe the site will improve over time.

from http://www.larkware.com/

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: desktop search guide page
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Hmm, looks like a good start anyway. A feature matrix would not go amiss and I'd like to see if they had a personal favorite at least. Also no Locate, eh?

- Oshyan

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:14 AM »
Already out of date too... X1 Enterprise went FREE yesterday. Just remember to deselect the bundled Yahoo toolbar!

Ampa

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:32 AM »
Well, that's good to know, as X1 looks like the most plaised desktop search utility, here on dc!  :Thmbsup:

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 07:24 AM »
I am a long time user of X1 Desktop edition.  Last week, I received an email from X1 announcing the change to a free Enterprise client.  One of the comments in the attachment bothered me and I was wondering if anyone know what they meant by this statement.

“…..While you may want one of the new features, you may need functionality that
is only available in versions prior to this release…..”

I looked in the release notes and they only tell you what the program WILL do, it does not necessarily mention what has been left out.

Any comments from existing users that have 'upgraded' to the free version would be greatly appreciated.  I run X1 on a laptop so I have no interest in server or network related changes. 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:57 AM »
I wonder what differs between X1 Enterprise Client Free Edition and Yahoo Desktop Search? At any rate, regarding jdd's note above, this pdf *might* be informative:

http://www.x1.com/do...nterprise_client.pdf

Note that it indicates features that are not available in the free version.

Curiously, neither the YDS nor the X1 site mentions the differences between these two free versions. X1 touts real time Outlook indexing, which does not appear from using YDS to be a common feature.

I guess I'll just have to install X1.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I have just installed it and it does seem to support realtime Outlook indexing

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Thanks Carol! I'm off to install, provided that doing so doesn't look like it's going to completely jigger my current YDS installation...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Well, that didn't pan out... Installation of X1, as I feared, requires that one first uninstall YDS, which is recognised as a "different version of X1". Thus, I'll be holding off until there is more concrete information about the differences between the two versions, if any.

Ironically, I only re-installed YDS yesterday morning after having uninstalled it about five months ago.

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 01:33 PM »
what I miss on
http://www.desktopse...guide.com/index.html

a description about what version were tested
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Hmm... found a semi-satisfying answer to my question about the difference between YDS and X1 here http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/06/x1-desktop-search-is-now-free-as-in.html.

Essentially:

Joe Longtin who is Product Marketing Manager at X1 Technologies explains the difference between Yahoo Desktop Search and X1 Enterprise Client:

Yahoo! Desktop Search includes support for the Yahoo! Address book and their instant messenger. It’s excellent for personal use on one’s desktop and it will continue to appeal to the consumer of Yahoo! Services, at home or at work.

X1 Enterprise Client is intended for intensive business use in a dynamic environment, therefore it's highly configurable, extensible and - as one component of the X1 Enterprise Platform - scalable.

* Real-time indexing. Changes to files and deleted files are updated in the index automatically.

* Support for Outlook Calendar and Task items. Users can search against virtually anything in Outlook.

* Range searching means users just have to know a specific date/numeric range, not an exact date.

* Drag and drop search results into emails or onto your desktop.

* Support for Lotus Notes 7.0.

* The X1 Enterprise Client federates search results from both the desktop and the X1 Enterprise Server.

* Unicode support. Search multiple languages.

* Ability to search network folders and enterprise content repositories. Using the free Enterprise Deployment Kit, IT administrators retain central control and can "switch on" end user access to network locations. X1 maps to Windows ACLs.

* Group Policy support.

The Enterprise Client really appeals to IT professionals who are under pressure to make their "customers" more productive without compromising information security.

Given that I don't care about Yahoo Messenger and Address book indexing AND X1 offers real-time indexing and apparently greater security this is starting to look like a no brainer.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I have to say I am impressed with X1 !! It is really quick.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:37 AM »
I uninstalled YDS and installed X1 right after making the last post. Like Carol, I'm impressed. It's more feature rich than YDS and every bit as quick. Actually, it *feels* quicker. After a limited amount of time with it, it *seems* more stable, too. Time will tell though...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:41 AM by Darwin »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 05:46 AM »
It's more feature rich than YDS and every bit as quick.

X1 is a 12 Mb download.  By my standards, that's BIG.  Subjectively, how quickly does it load?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 05:56 AM »
I think it is a big download because it contains a lot of Yahoo rubbish (which you deselect during installation).

Don't know about others but I am getting seriously pissed off with downloads that contain "value added" features - otherwise known as unwanted crap!

Having said that X1 seems pretty nifty - and it sits in the Systray after system startup.

Here are the items that appear in the task manager (the CPU usage figures drop when you are doing other things so that it doesn't interfere with other processes):

tm.png
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:05 AM by Carol Haynes »

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 06:09 AM »
Carol,  I have the paid X1 Desktop versino and have been holding out waiting for comments on this new "free" Enterprise before I switch over.  Can you explain what you meanby these "value added" features that are pissing you off?  This doesn't happen in the old paid version.  Is the Yahoo deselection ineffective?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 06:15 AM »
No - a number of companies (X1, Nero and quite a few others now) include things like Yahoo Explorer Toolbar as an integrated part of their downloads. When you run the installer it asks do you want to install Yahoo Toolbar too and you can say no - but the thing that pisses me off is the number of time I download Yahoo Toolbar with other products - it is a waste of time and bandwidth, plus not all installers make it obvious that they have YT included so you have to go through custom install to ensure you don't install YT by accident.

YT is really annoying because it is now beginning to appear in other guises (ie. same thing but rebranded) so you end up installing it without know it is going to be there!

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 06:35 AM »
Carol,  Not sure i follow.......Is this an issue with X1 or the fact that YT is hidden in other things.  Would it have been the same without installing X1?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 07:16 AM »
It's not an issue with X1, except that the installer includes the Yahoo stuff which I idn't want to install. It clearly gives the option to avoid installing it so it isn't a problem.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Part of the large download size for X1 is the set of Stellent filters that are included with it. These allow you to view the contents and formatting of files without opening their associated apps (or even having those apps installed). On my installation, the filters folder occupies 17.7 MB while the Yahoo Toolbar (which I chose NOT to install) folder occupies 1.09 MB.

I agree with Carol, though, that it is really annoying having to use Custom install to avoid having your homepage set to Yahoo, Yahoo set as your default search engine and to avoid having the Toolbar installed. I NEVER use the default installer for any software anymore because 9 times out of 10 they will try to do this with either Yahoo or Google...

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Ugh, unwanted bundled software is definitely a huge annoyance. This sounds like a Podcast rant in the making. :D Adobe and Apple were the biggest offenders I knew of until recently. Now X1 and there are others I'm sure. I have done custom install as a general rule for years now, partly because of this and partly just because I want to make sure the app isn't doing anything else I don't want (like adding a quicklaunch shortcut).

- Oshyan

mja

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Quick ? for anyone that has X1 and Lotus Notes installed. Was anyone able to get it to work - is there any trick that I don't know about? I looked thru the help and it looks like all you have to do is set the password and it should work. For some reason it indexed my contacts but not my emails and every time I tried to bring up the options menu to enable the indexing on specific Lotus Notes folders the X1 app just hung until I had to kill it. Thanks in advance.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Hello.

Funny, but after installing X1 on Windows XP *home* edition, the "Actions" (also available by right clicking on a file within X1) are grayed out(dimmed).  >:(

Anybody knows how to enable these????

Thanks!

M.