topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Pls recommend 32-bit software for old WinXP machine I'm giving an elderly woman  (Read 18870 times)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Eldy, Pot Player, Foobar, F.lux or SunsetScreen, Notepad++, PDF-XChange Viewer, Speechlogger, Virtual Magnifying Glass, some good fonts like Georgia, Wizmouse, Chrome add-on Oweb Voice Input, PhraseExtress, Heart Rate Monitor ...

or install HandyLinux ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:25 AM by panzer »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, VLC is installed and is associated with common video formats. I dunno if she likes Solitaire. I've added some audio books as well.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This poor old lady is going to have to attend college nights to learn to use these 500 programs.  :)

Just kidding.  But inertia can lead to program bloat.  :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does she like Solitaire?

You mean "Klondike/Canfield".

As I have been amiably advising while visiting some local Chinese kids, "Klondike" is not "Solitaire". Solitaire is a *category*. "Klondike" is the most famous variant in that class.

But when her eyes get tired, buy her a twin deck of cards and teach her how to play German Spider. That's also ... Solitaire! And it has such a stunning different feel that she might like a break from stuff. Just make sure it's a big table!

If anyone actually cares, we can branch a thread out. This was just to niggle that "the game Bill Gates put on MS Windows" is a "class violation" or something : )

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does she like Solitaire?

You mean "Klondike/Canfield".

As I have been amiably advising while visiting some local Chinese kids, "Klondike" is not "Solitaire". Solitaire is a *category*. "Klondike" is the most famous variant in that class.

But when her eyes get tired, buy her a twin deck of cards and teach her how to play German Spider. That's also ... Solitaire! And it has such a stunning different feel that she might like a break from stuff. Just make sure it's a big table!

If anyone actually cares, we can branch a thread out. This was just to niggle that "the game Bill Gates put on MS Windows" is a "class violation" or something : )

Just like tissue is not Kleenex, gelatin is not Jell-O, and search is not Google, and... you get the idea.  The ship sailed on the language of all of those things long ago, and even though you just said that, I'll still refer to it as solitaire, because most people will understand that.  And this is despite knowing it forever, as I went through several of the variants and different types.  In the end, it's better to use common nomenclature once the ship sails, and the most common variant is most common for a reason- it's easier to teach, and more fun in general in my estimation.  ;D