topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Facebook messenger tool to read all items in a long chat  (Read 3855 times)

helmar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Currently, there appears to be no working method to display all FB messages between a person on one screen, without either scrolling upward or clicking forever (44500+ going back quite some time, my father passed last year, Mom is talking about shutting down his account, I want to save our conversations first).

The are ideas out on the web, but those date to before the April 2015 changes FB made to their URL scheme.

On my laptop, in Chrome (version 44.0.2403.89 m), https://m.facebook.c...d/?tid=xxxxxxxxxxxxx (replaced by that recipient's TID) (in m.facebook.com, click on a message thread and it will become that URL) acts as follows:
The latest set of messages in the thread are displayed, as well as "See Older Messages..." and if I click on that hyperlink, the older messages are displayed while retaining the newer ones on the same screen, rather than just showing blocks of the messages (IE and Firefox appear to not show all, rather just about 5 messages or so at a time).

I would like an app that can look for that "See Older Messages..." string, and if found, left mouse click (primary mouse button) on it, until that string is no longer found.  I am thinking that the page growth will eat memory on the computer, so memory niceness by the snack might be useful.  My plan is to save them in whatever format will handle it (PDF, Word, anything).

Thanks in advance for your consideration and time.
Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Facebook messenger tool to read all items in a long chat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I don't use FB so can't test it but this post from July 2015 might get you what you want: Read the first message you ever sent.

helmar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Facebook messenger tool to read all items in a long chat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 04:46 AM »
4wd - thanks for the reply.  I checked out that link.  They are able to approximate the earliest post in a thread, but it still does not display the whole message thread.  Using their method, I would need the reverse of what I was asking, "See Newer Messages..." and the ability to click on that link until not found.