topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [BUG] Pixelate sometimes fails on pixelating text  (Read 4065 times)

VADemon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[BUG] Pixelate sometimes fails on pixelating text
« on: June 26, 2015, 02:40 PM »
The title says it all. The bug is not persistent, but occured ~80% of the time to me.

Steps:
1) Take a screenshot
2) Select an area
3) Try to pixelate inside the area
4) Look for text "shining" through the pixelated area

1st attachment: Original screenshot
[ Invalid Attachment ]  // I don't know,  [ attach ] doesn't seem to work?

2nd attachment: Pixelated screenshot
[ Invalid Attachment ]

3rd: How it looks like in Screenshot Captor
[ Invalid Attachment ]

PS: Another small bug: Using screenshot name template "%customdate%__%filename%" works on other programs (%filename% on Explorer.exe = "explorer") but doesn't work for me on Screenshot Captor itself (equals nothing, like the 3rd attachment)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [BUG] Pixelate sometimes fails on pixelating text
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:38 PM »
There's something weird going on there too - I see a "shadow" of your file list one item lower than it should be (see the extra "WorldEdit.lua" hanging off the bottom) and also in the column headers.

VADemon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:25 PM »
@ayryq, I'm aware of this but it's not a bug - it's my messed up capturing settings where the black border appears around the window to capture transparency (I'm too lazy to fix/reset the settings). The window's position changes when the black border is displayed thus the "shadow" of the text.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:37 PM »
aryq's clue was significant and your follow up explained the problem; here's what's happening:

SC is trying to determine which backround areas of the window are (semi) transparent.  Whatever this bug is that is causing the window to move during this, is making SC think there is some partial transparency over that entire area of the window, so that the text all appears as semi-transparent to SC (even though when you look at it you dont see the effect).

So when the pixelate effect occurs, its not "clearing" the transparency, and so the pixelatated regions have some partial transparency where the text was.

So here's what to do:

1. I'll consider that a bug and have pixelate always completely clear any transparency when pixelating.  I'll try to have an SC update in the next week.
2. In the meantime, either fix whatever weirdness is causing the window to move, or to disable this transparency detection (which by the way will speed up capture), from here:
Screenshot - 6_26_2015 , 6_36_08 PM_ver001.png

Let us know if that fixes it for new captures.

You could also do this for existing captures: Before applying pixelate or similar effects, choose 'Merge Background Transparency' from the objects menu.  That will remove any transparency from the image.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:40 PM »
The window's position changes when the black border is displayed thus the "shadow" of the text.

getting back to this for a second -- do you know why this happens? Is it because the window is too close to an edge of the screen and SC is trying to move it?  Perhaps I need to add some code to delay after moving the window to give the window time to update..

VADemon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Quick answer (on my phone currently):
From my perspective the transparency capture used to work and at some point it stopped functioning properly (pretty sure my fault, changing settings etc); but the window is in the middle of the screen and there was plenty of space in all directions yet the window is moved when borders (dis-)appear.
I will double-check all settings tomorrow and test my settings on a clean SC install in parallel.
Thank you guys for the quick replies!