topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android like Typing Assistant for Windows PC?  (Read 13011 times)

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android like Typing Assistant for Windows PC?
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:30 AM »
There are keyboards available for Android which suggest user the next word as he is typing. Once installed some of them learn users previous conversations and suggest for next.

Is there anything similar for windows PC? I am writing a technical article and my English is not very good. I feel a great lack of words and vocabulary to describe something.

Won't that be a great idea if I give a tool a few related technical articles (or research papers) and when I start typing it suggest me words or sentences (like android keyboards). And in result I'll have a very good looking article with a very good vocabulary?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:47 AM by lifeh2o »

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Intelligent Typing Assistant?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 06:32 AM »
CoWriter 7 looks something like that. http://donjohnston.com/cowriter-7/ but it is not free and it has its own topic dictionaries from which it suggest words.

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Intelligent Typing Assistant?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:09 AM »
There is a Typing Assistant http://www.sumitsoft.com/ I can not find a way to give it some text from where it can learn. It has instead an Auto-Learn feature which learns as user types.

Another is eType http://www.etype.com/ but I am unable to download it even with a proxy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:35 AM by lifeh2o »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android like Typing Assistant for Windows PC?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:34 AM »
There are keyboards available for Android which suggest user the next word as he is typing. Once installed some of them learn users previous conversations and suggest for next.

Is there anything similar for windows PC? I am writing a technical article and my English is not very good. I feel a great lack of words and vocabulary to describe something.

Won't that be a great idea if I give a tool a few related technical articles (or research papers) and when I start typing it suggest me words or sentences (like android keyboards). And in result I'll have a very good looking article with a very good vocabulary?

You will probably be better off getting yourself a language partner. Yours is one of the classic cases where pseudo-AI typing assistants crash terribly! It does sound like English is your second or third language ... but you can't fudge it just with a typing tool! My phone is older, but you wouldn't believe the disastrous attempts it makes trying to "auto-suggest" words! I have to make a smile and tell it "no... I am typing Collinear, not colander (like the kitchen tool to take the water out of pasta!) Stop that!"

And unlike random text, in a technical article, every sentence counts!

What is your native language? And what are the papers on?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:16 AM »
you may like WhiteSmoke: http://www.whitesmoke.com/

However, they are merchants, not saints: Many people will not come anywhere near WhiteSmoke, because of their sales department's gangster reputation. But the program itself is fine. Expensive (of course), but fine. Or at least it used to be fine, when I was using it some years ago; I have not used it for more than 3 years.

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:34 AM »

You will probably be better off getting yourself a language partner. Yours is one of the classic cases where pseudo-AI typing assistants crash terribly! It does sound like English is your second or third language ... but you can't fudge it just with a typing tool! My phone is older, but you wouldn't believe the disastrous attempts it makes trying to "auto-suggest" words! I have to make a smile and tell it "no... I am typing Collinear, not colander (like the kitchen tool to take the water out of pasta!) Stop that!"

And unlike random text, in a technical article, every sentence counts!

What is your native language? And what are the papers on?

I am a student and English is kind of my secondary language. While writing my research thesis I find it quite difficult to use the right words at the right place. I have a lot of research papers in my collection. I am only imagining that if I give a tool those research papers, some technical articles found on web and some other well written stuff. A tool like that will help me choosing the right words and sentences in my thesis.

There is http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ which highlights long sentences, suggest simpler words etc.
Another is http://writefullapp.com/ which looks almost perfect for technical writing and does almost the same thing as I am looking for. But it is not free and it looks on internet for similar sentences to suggest the right sentence.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:41 AM »

I am a student and English is kind of my secondary language. While writing my research thesis I find it quite difficult to use the right words at the right place. I have a lot of research papers in my collection. I am only imagining that if I give a tool those research papers, some technical articles found on web and some other well written stuff. A tool like that will help me choosing the right words and sentences in my thesis.

There is http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ which highlights long sentences, suggest simpler words etc.
Another is http://writefullapp.com/ which looks almost perfect for technical writing and does almost the same thing as I am looking for. But it is not free and it looks on internet for similar sentences to suggest the right sentence.

Well, recognizing that since you haven't said what subject your thesis is on, I could get wildly out of my depth, but try this -

I'm fairly strong on the linguistic - liberal arts front, so toss me a draft of something by email and I'll throw you "the intelligent layman's questions". Then I can work with you to show you some types of questions a person can ask that can never be fixed just by the types of tools you are looking for.

I'm at [email protected]

I have some passing layman's interests in AI, so this would be a fun project! (And these days trying to get my health better, I need a couple of fun things to rebuild my concentration on!)

(P.s. Holler when you've sent something, because I am doing a few hobbies today and need to know when to look. I don't have those "you've got mail" auto-links to email like a lot of people have, for various reasons.)

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 12:51 PM »

Well, recognizing that since you haven't said what subject your thesis is on, I could get wildly out of my depth, but try this -

I'm fairly strong on the linguistic - liberal arts front, so toss me a draft of something by email and I'll throw you "the intelligent layman's questions". Then I can work with you to show you some types of questions a person can ask that can never be fixed just by the types of tools you are looking for.

I'm at [email protected]

I have some passing layman's interests in AI, so this would be a fun project! (And these days trying to get my health better, I need a couple of fun things to rebuild my concentration on!)

(P.s. Holler when you've sent something, because I am doing a few hobbies today and need to know when to look. I don't have those "you've got mail" auto-links to email like a lot of people have, for various reasons.)

My thesis is about Multi-Agents and Scientific Workflow Systems. Thank you very much for sharing email to help. But you have probably took that too far of what I am asking by saying "some types of questions a person can ask that can never be fixed just by the types of tools you are looking for". No I am not looking for a tool which will write for me, I only need it to suggest me better words or phrases if possible.

I made a simple word generator once, than converted it to a simple sentence generator which used markov chains. That sentence generator, I found later, worked almost the same way as spam email and spam fake article generators work. They make sentence which look like a real readable sentences but in fact are stupidly connected long sentences. But they do the job of fooling search engines very well.

I am expecting the samething from a word prediction tool, give it some sample text, start typing, looking at what you have typed it should suggest next words which it learnt from sample text (research papers and other technical writings in my case)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:05 PM by lifeh2o »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:55 PM »
They make sentence which look like a real readable sentences but in fact are stupidly connected long sentences. But they do the job of fooling search engines very well.

but you want to write a scientific thesis -
surely the standard of English will have to be a lot better than for spam ?
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 01:04 PM »
They make sentence which look like a real readable sentences but in fact are stupidly connected long sentences. But they do the job of fooling search engines very well.

Yes, this is exactly what is bothering me about what he wants to do!

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 01:07 PM »

Exactly, and that is the reason I'll be giving scientific articles as an input to that tool.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:42 PM »

Exactly, and that is the reason I'll be giving scientific articles as an input to that tool.

Well, by this point it's becoming a bit of a personal challenge! Send me a chunk of your thesis and I'll ask you a question no tool can ever point out to you! You can copy and paste it into a personal message here. I'll have a pointed question within seventeen minutes : )

It's the Loebner Challenge in reverse.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I feel a great lack of words and vocabulary to describe something.

It sounds like you're talking about looking up synonyms as you write.

WriteMonkey can do this. CTRL+click on a selected word, and it will bring up a list of synonyms in the context menu, and by clicking on a synonym it will replace the original word. It's amazing!

I keep forgetting about this feature (which I only discovered by accident), I should use it more often... Can't remember if it's in the free version, but you can donate any amount to get the donor key, and the other plugins are well worth it.

I only tried it in English, but he also has dictionaries and language packs for other languages on there.

Language packs (WORK IN PROGRESS!)
----------------------------------

French fr-FR (updated for v2.7: April 17th 2015) ** NEW **

Galician gl-ES (added: January 9th 2011)

German de-DE (updated for v2.7: November 8th 2014)

Italian it-IT (updated: December 25th 2010)

Lithuanian lt-LT (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)

Polish pl-PL (updated for v2.2: September 4th 2011)

Portuguese pt-BR (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)

Romanian ro-RO (updated for v2.7: November 23rd 2014)

Russian ru-RU (updated for v2.5: September 20th 2013)

Slovenian sl-SI (updated for v2.5: September 15th 2013)

Spanish es-ES (updated for v2.7: September 28th 2014)

Turkish tr-TR (added: April 13th 2011)

Ukrainian uk-UA (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 03:30 PM »

I see your private message, so I'll post most of my notes there. For this thread, I'll bring up (to be elaborated in my private notes) that before you get to the word checker, you might need something else to organize your "main new point of your research" and then your backup proofs and examples. I'll say more in my notes.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07 AM »
One of the problems a predictive text app could pose for writing a thesis, is that if it is choosing the words and phrases from existing papers in your possession, it could inadvertently cause your thesis to trigger a positive result on a plagiarism checker. If you do use an app, you are going to have to be very careful and make sure you test the results, thoroughly.  :-\

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19 PM »
One of the problems a predictive text app could pose for writing a thesis, is that if it is choosing the words and phrases from existing papers in your possession, it could inadvertently cause your thesis to trigger a positive result on a plagiarism checker. If you do use an app, you are going to have to be very careful and make sure you test the results, thoroughly.  :-\

We went over that App. To me that's not his biggest problem, and the ball is still in his court. The one I honed in on, was a Chicken and Egg issue of if he has to rely on software to provide cool-looking-phrases, then he's got dangerous gaps in his knowledge!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Another is eType http://www.etype.com/ but I am unable to download it even with a proxy.

I tried seeing if I could download the installer from one of the many download sites, and Softonic showed me this lovely warning when I attempted to download it from them:

Screenshot - 6_8_2015 , 9_42_59 PM.png

But if you really want to try it, you can download it from here: http://etypewecomple...oftonic.com/download