topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Caveman NoScript?  (Read 3440 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Caveman NoScript?
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I do Adblock, and I have heard of NoScript, but one problem with NoScript type approaches is I don't want to get all wrapped up in Whitelisting stuff, because a ton of times it's news pages I'll never see again. But then again, sometimes it's "my favorite sites" doing stuff.

What if there is a brutally simple app/addon that you toggle on and off that simply blocks all scripts that come from anywhere else but the local domain. Extra key feature is if it can make a list of all the crap the page tries to load!

I often see this stuff in passing in the status bar, and I think it would be educational to see the printed list of just the crap that really goes on. I think even most new / low-skilled users would get grumpy if they were presented with a list like

Hai. Your newspage tried to load the following:

Ping.charbeat.net
Widget.perfectmarket.com
a.fsdn.com
player.ooyala.com
googleadservices.com
(something like) quilt.jrain.com
b.scorecardreasearch.com

Now me this could almost be as simple as a coding snack, but I'm sure I'm missing some of the legit complexity or something. To me it feels like the following pseudo-code:

10 Determine local domain user actually is visiting
20 IF Load_Anything_Else THEN STFU No!
30 collect list of crap page tries to load
40 present and offer a couple of options of processing/saving the list

For example the above partial list is from Slashdot.

An interesting alternative / extra feature is to whitelist certain kinds of scripts that are "absolutely essential" for pages such as news pages when they want to show videos, but then block all the other scripts even from the local page, because news pages are about the worst for "sliders" that jump up about twenty seconds later

VOTE BABY CODY FOR PRESIDENT! BABY CODY HAS A FRESH NEW TAKE ON THE US NEWS TODAY! LIKE US! REFER US!Click here to close

Now back to your article
Especially since the 3rd party stuff is among the last to load. Incidentally this might *also* eat more ads after regular adblock is done.

Thoughts? Is this Snack sized? Or am I missing something?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Caveman NoScript?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:59 AM »
I'd be a sucker for that one.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Or you could try RequestPolicy.

https://addons.mozil...addon/requestpolicy/

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Or you could try RequestPolicy.

https://addons.mozil...addon/requestpolicy/

That looks like a really good start! I'll go try it in a minute. Meanwhile, the dev posted this:

"RequestPolicy's new version is under development as RequestPolicy Continued. Ultimately, I'd like RequestPolicy Continued to replace RequestPolicy."

https://requestpolic...continued.github.io/

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:01 PM »
This is very close!

The last piece of the puzzle is maybe just using adblock to block certain annoying scripts. For example (unless they change it next week) this is PcWorld's script for the Recommended For You "Shove Script".
http://www.pcworld.c...m/www.idgcsmb/js/thm

Nuking another one finally killed Rotten Tomatoes' rotating slider.

So, I think these together are very good! Request Policy with "Block by Default" is VERY close! It's so good that I can almost turn off Adblock, if it were not for the script level features there!

And it's nice to see nice, clean pages "loading Forbes.com. Done."
And ending with that fading glory of a site, Slashdot, it's winning the record for attempting over SIX THOUSAND site actions (with adblock off) !!
:mad:

And a nice way to gauge a page is "how much stuff did RequestPolicy have to kill to made it liveable?"

So, thanks, and if I find any other secondary little helper addons, I'll holler!