topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dayu Disk Master Pro giveaway  (Read 5856 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dayu Disk Master Pro giveaway
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Just coincidence.  I was messing around with a Ramdisk and portable browser the last few days.  The RamDisk was by Dayu using Disk Master Free.  I see GOTD has the Pro version free for the next 11 hours and change.  I've installed it.  But I'm reticent to try anything drastic like messing with my partitions unless I have to.  One of the features it boasts is a bootable WinPE based recovery disc/usb.

It claims both MBR and GPT types are supported.

Also has features similar to Macrium Reflect.  Image backup, disk cloning etc..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dayu Disk Master Pro giveaway
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:49 PM »
One thing I found out after using up the afternoon.  If you are using Macrium Reflect don't install this.  You get an error that Macrium cannot create snapshot. Provider error.  If you google it you will get a link to the Macrium page telling you the Registry Key to delete.  It is for another software but just select the reg key with the mouse and you will see DiskMaster as the VSS Provider.  I deleted it now Macrium works again.

That's one thing I hate about giveaways.  I end up installing stuff I don't really need.  9 times out of 10 it ends up being a headache.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47 PM »
You get an error that Macrium cannot create snapshot.
I had that a couple of/few years back. At the time the current Norton Ghost was still on the machine. Macrium cleared it up quite quickly.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:19 AM »
The GOTD Disk Master Pro giveaway looks enticing, but pay attention to what @MilesAhead says.
It parallels my own experience, where I have learned to be wary of anything from GOTD.
Risky. Potentially nothing but trouble.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Anything from GOTD should not be called anything but an extended one-time trial. You have to install (and activate) the software *that* day and you are usually frozen in time in the sense that you can't ever upgrade it, even to a point-release. Also, heaven help you if you love the software and have to reinstall your OS. Your 'free' software will refuse to reinstall.

As much dislike as I have for GOTD, I have just as much love for Bits du Jour. You get a good price on the full version of the software that behaves exactly like the version you would buy from the software's official site. On the rare occasions there are any strange limitations, they are spelled out in plain English.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Anything from GOTD should not be called anything but an extended one-time trial. You have to install (and activate) the software *that* day and you are usually frozen in time in the sense that you can't ever upgrade it, even to a point-release. Also, heaven help you if you love the software and have to reinstall your OS. Your 'free' software will refuse to reinstall.

As much dislike as I have for GOTD, I have just as much love for Bits du Jour. You get a good price on the full version of the software that behaves exactly like the version you would buy from the software's official site. On the rare occasions there are any strange limitations, they are spelled out in plain English.

In this case I got the software from Windows Deal

They do have brand name software on there.  While waiting for 100% discount for something like WinRar or Revo Uninstaller Pro to pop up I succumbed to trying out some stuff I wasn't familiar with.  To be fair this software may not be bad.  It may just conflict with Macrium.  But it does seem to have a bunch of disk functions clumped together.

GOTD I don't look at as it is pretty rare I see anything I want there(esp. if I'm not looking.  Was it Yogi Berra who said "nobody goes to the ballpark Saturday afternoon anymore because it's too crouded." ?? )

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:21 PM »
^^ Yes:
  • GOTD = Risky. Potentially nothing but trouble. Untrustworthy. Dayu Disk Master offer probably a case in point.
  • BitsDuJour = usually pretty straight up and down, reliable, and informs the user of what they will be getting - but always read "the fine print" so as you get no surprises.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I feel compelled to remark that GOTD didn't used to be this way. Once upon a time, you'd go to their web site, download an executable of the program they were giving away, and it was yours to keep. You could install it right away, a week from then, or two years from then and it would always happily install without incident and would work perfectly.

This behavior, of course, had to stop.  >:(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:52 AM »
When I see something I like from GOTD (which is less and less, to be honest)...I fire up my VM, install it there, register it, "virtualize" it (also known as making it portable)and run the portable on my normal system. If that works, fine. But if it doesn't, I lost maybe 30 minutes...however, if I really like/need it, then I will install & register it again on my normal system.

Bits Du Jour is usually the site with the better offers, although GOTD positively surprised me on occasion. That is the reason I still go there.   

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Speaking of giveaways, I got a copy of Power ISO from Windows Deal

It's not something I need.  At least I don't think so, since W8 can mount iso images.  But I'm curious if anyone likes it.  I don't mess around with video anymore.  I don't have much occasion to wish to get all the files I can off the damaged DVD etc..