topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to get Desktop Coral to stay on Primary Monitor when switching screen setup?  (Read 17925 times)

jiexi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a triple monitor setup where my Primary monitor is in the center and I want desktop coral on the top of the primary monitor, works fine.

Sometimes I remove my laptop from this setup and use it was a regular single screen laptop, desktop coral works fine.

When I come back home and plug my laptop back in to the triple monitor setup, sometimes desktop coral does not stay on the primary monitor, but the leftmost.

Is there a way to solve this? I can't seem to find the config file to just manually check for # of screens at login and adjust desktop coral accordingly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi jiexi,

I'm not sure exactly how to solve your issue, but i suppose as a first step let me tell you that the config file, on win vista and later will be a file called DesktopCoral.ini in your documents\DonationCoder\DesktopCoral directory.

jiexi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For others who are still looking for a solution to this. Setup desktopcoral on the monitor you want with the settings you want. Then set the ini file to readonly. It will stay on the monitor you left it on even when you unplug your monitors and plug them back in.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
I've always had this exact same problem.  Three monitors - when I change one of them, DesktopCorral always starts on the leftmost monitor, no matter where I put it on the center monitor.

In the settings file, there is Dock > CurrentMonitorId = 0
There is also Settings > LastMonitorId = 0
Jesse, what does that setting mean?  Usually, monitors are numbered 1,2,3.

On a hunch, I changed those values to 1, quit DC and restarted it, and it now starts on the center monitor.

I think that whatever triggers DC to reallize which monitor it is moved to - well, it's either broken somehow or it doesn't save the value.  OR, when you unplug a monitor, which causes all windows to move to another monitor, DC changes it's monitor ID or gets it wrong.  When you plug the other monitor back in, you have to manually drag DC back to it's right place - but now the IDs are wrong - OR when the other monitor is plugged in, DC doesn't know it and so doesn't update the monitorID in its settings.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I can work on this.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!  It's no biggie - now that I know how to fix it!
You may wonder why I would use a program like this.
Well, I use another program called PowerPro, which creates for me a custom bar that runs along the top of my screen (kind of like your command bar program).  It's supposed to be able to dock itself, but since I run my taskbars vertically, there are a few issues and it doesn't dock properly.  So I use Desktop Corral (and have for many years!) to hold it's place for me.  It works perfectly.

cmspooner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can work on this.
Any luck with this? I just got a USB C monitor, and it's great except that I need to keep fixing my desktop coral each time I plug it in. Its a great program and I love having my rain meters always exposed.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,

I sometimes have troubles with it too, after a graphics card update.  I use three monitors, and sometimes DC thinks it should be on a different monitor.  I have to undock it, move it, and redock it, then quit, then restart before it will stick in the right spot again.

I use Desktop Corral to hold the space for my Powerpro toolbar that runs across the top of my central monitor.  Powerpro can hold the space itself, but not as reliably or as well as DC, so I've always just relied on DC.  [just to let you know there are other users of your nice, unique application]

update
Oh, I basically just said the same things as I said last year about the same time....  whoops.  hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  I must be getting old!