topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Make Windows 8 login/lockscreen transparent?  (Read 12553 times)

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Make Windows 8 login/lockscreen transparent?
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Hi
I like my wallpapers, much more than the solid "background color" Win8.1 shows on the login/lockscreen, based on my choice from the Personalise settings. If the Start screen can use my wallpaper in the background, why not login/lockscreen?

Anyone know how to make this happen?

Thanks

Jacob

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Make Windows 8 login/lockscreen transparent?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:23 PM »

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 05:08 AM »
See pictures on the desktop, Start, and the lock screen - Microsoft

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for with regards to lockscreen. I don't want the same, fixed image for it, I want it to use the same image currently being used as desktop wallpaper, which changes regularly.

Also, I realize now that I may have misspoken. It seems that the lockscreen and the login screen aren't the same. I don't remember disabling the lockscreen, but in Settings, if I can choose a perfectly-proportioned (wrt my screen) picture, it will be saved as my choice. However, if I Win + L, I get the solid color-backed login screen that I see on startup.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:08 AM »
See if these help

http://www.eightforu...nge-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforu...und-color-image.html

Thanks. Now I know there are actually 2 lockscreens, and that what I'm looking for is how to put an image on the sign-in or login screen. Surfing around eightforums, it only ever mentions how to change the color of the login screen, no one seems to have figured out how to get an image there.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Is it just me or am I the only person in the world that sees absolutely no use for a lock screen?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Well, I do use the lockscreen, but it would baffle me if it was transparent, it's mostly used to keep my screen content invisible from prying eyes while I'm away from my desk :-[ (and because our security policy demands me to use it :o)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33 AM »
See if these help

http://www.eightforu...nge-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforu...und-color-image.html

Thanks. Now I know there are actually 2 lockscreens, and that what I'm looking for is how to put an image on the sign-in or login screen. Surfing around eightforums, it only ever mentions how to change the color of the login screen, no one seems to have figured out how to get an image there.

If anyone would know it would be in the Customization SubForum

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Is it just me or am I the only person in the world that sees absolutely no use for a lock screen?
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2015, 08:35 AM)

If you're the only one using your computer and no one ever walks past it, then yes, I agree with you :)

Well, I do use the lockscreen, but it would baffle me if it was transparent, it's mostly used to keep my screen content invisible from prying eyes while I'm away from my desk :-[ (and because our security policy demands me to use it :o)

What I really mean is that the login screen would display my desktop wallpaper in the background instead of a solid color i.e. it wouldn't display the open apps. It would be a transparent effect although not really transparent.

(Kind of like how there are scientists working on an invisibility cloak that is actually a screen displaying what's on the other side of whoever/whatever is trying to be invisible)

If anyone would know it would be in the Customization SubForum

Thanks!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17 PM »
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2015, 08:35 AM)

I'm a bit baffled by it as well. Locking an active session does for security not require a decorative image of its own.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12 PM »

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:42 PM »
This may be some help:
https://onedrive.liv...key=!AK6GADb9ErqmeWQ

Appreciate that. If I was going to script this, that would be a big chunk of it, I'd have to think. Then we just need the login to call that and use it instead of a default color. But this isn't important enough just yet for me to take away from leisure time with the kids :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 01:46 PM »
This may be some help:
https://onedrive.liv...key=!AK6GADb9ErqmeWQ

Appreciate that. If I was going to script this, that would be a big chunk of it, I'd have to think. Then we just need the login to call that and use it instead of a default color. But this isn't important enough just yet for me to take away from leisure time with the kids :)

I tried this script but it would not let me run it due to some policy restriction.  I found an ahk script, but it failed to pick up the image file path.  Seems you can't get there from here.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Just asking but if this is the first sign in screen you come to when you first turn on the computer then you can effectively bypass it by having auto-login set, is that an option or do you want to keep the computer password protected at boot?

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Just asking but if this is the first sign in screen you come to when you first turn on the computer then you can effectively bypass it by having auto-login set, is that an option or do you want to keep the computer password protected at boot?

I know you can boot to desktop, but yes, I do want to keep the login. I also tend to lock my computer quite a bit.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 01:32 PM »
I know you can boot to desktop, but yes, I do want to keep the login. I also tend to lock my computer quite a bit.

I didn't realize Windows made such a big secret of the image file locations until I looked into it due to this thread.  Learn something new every day.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 03:32 PM »

It only affects that first sign in screen, (one would hope that you'd be hanging around the minute or so waiting for the computer to boot), any time after when you lock the computer or log out it'll drop back to the lock screen (with whatever wallpaper you've chosen), from there you'll only get the solid colour when you enter your password to unlock/log in again, a matter of a few seconds.

That's the way it's working here in W8.1Pro.

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35 AM »

It only affects that first sign in screen, (one would hope that you'd be hanging around the minute or so waiting for the computer to boot), any time after when you lock the computer or log out it'll drop back to the lock screen (with whatever wallpaper you've chosen), from there you'll only get the solid colour when you enter your password to unlock/log in again, a matter of a few seconds.

That's the way it's working here in W8.1Pro.

I'm only looking for a solution for the login screen. I must have disabled the lockscreen (although I don't remember doing it) because it never appears and that's fine, I have no problem with the login appearing after locking, but it would be nice to pretty up that login :)